'90 2LT-E cutting out?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '90 2LT-E cutting out?!

Hi Guys- My 1990 Surf(2LT-E) is cutting out. Sometimes at idle it will rev up a bit but stay running, but at other times the 'Check' light will come on, the rev counter needle goes to '0' and the engine stalls.Usually at intersection(Yes- NewZealand has 3 intersections now, but more are planned)
    Occasionally it will stall while driving below about 70KPH, with a large belch of exhaust smoke.
    Always restarts luckily. Dealership not helpful.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Originally posted by gemini
    how long have you had it because that is not the original engine so has everything been connected up right
    Sounds like what Ian says, check the EGR is working cause if its stuck open it can give theses symptons. Check all vacumm hoses fro correct fitting and any splits etc.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Have had Hilux for years

7 or 8 years ownership.Engine is all original with 190 000KM. It is a wee bit tired, but runs great 'till it cuts out.
      EGR?? What the heck is an EGR?

Comment

Have you pulled the fault codes? seeing as the check light is coming on.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Yep- it shows '6'

Unfortunately for me, '6' shows up in most codes, narrowing down the possibles by bugger-all.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamedawn
            I can't remember but I'll have a look next time the bonnet's up (won't be long ). What I based my comment on is that the Toyota EPC says my engine is a 2lte.

Roger
            The 2LTE engine was only fitted from some time in mid 1991, 2LT, 2L or 3L were fitted before that time.

The Throttle cable on Gemini's truck shows that it is definately a 2LTE, the Cable on the 2LT is further forward than that.

Cheers

Comment

Well- there's SOME good news!

I have plugged the EGR pipe and the bitch does'nt stall at idle, however it did cut out once today when travelling at around 2000RPM.I turned ignition off then on and engine picked up again.Any suggestions as to where I should look next would be appreciated.
              And YES! it is absolutly, definatly, positively a 1990 2LT-E!!

Comment

Originally posted by Muzz67
                I have plugged the EGR pipe and the bitch does'nt stall at idle, however it did cut out once today when travelling at around 2000RPM.I turned ignition off then on and engine picked up again.Any suggestions as to where I should look next would be appreciated.
                And YES! it is absolutly, definatly, positively a 1990 2LT-E!!
                have you tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to reset the
                computer? also check the throttle position sensor, these can play up and cause the same sort of problems.
                Last edited by kiwi-jim; 8 September 2003, 09:06.
                jim.b.

1990 SSR LTD 2LTE auto
                1985 SR V8 4.4 litre manual

Comment

Hi Kiwi-jim,

Yes, have done the battery thing. Where is the TPS and what should I look for? Thanks for replying, us Kiwi's seem to have had EFI rattlers well ahead of 'The Old Country' eh.

Comment

Yes, have done the battery thing. Where is the TPS and what should I look for? Thanks for replying, us Kiwi's seem to have had EFI rattlers well ahead of 'The Old Country' eh.
                    the TPS is a black round thing on the side of the throttle housing on the opposite side to the throttle cable. they can play up if you get them wet or even from old age. to find out how they work and how to test them look at www.autoshop101.com technical articles 24 and 33. these are from petrol EFI engines
                    but the diesel versions will be very close if not identical.
                    at least you don`t have to remove it to test it just un plug the connector and put a meter on it.

(ps don`t hassle the poms or fat tony-sorry BIG tony will threaten to move in with you. forum mafia)
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by kiwi-jim; 9 September 2003, 12:57.
                    jim.b.

1990 SSR LTD 2LTE auto
                    1985 SR V8 4.4 litre manual

Comment

Well- it's getting better!!

Hi Kiwi Jim,
                      I studied the links kindly suggested, but being a bit of a dodo, most of it went over my head.However I checked things out visually, and noticed that the TPS had a vacuum(?) pipe running to an actuator with a plunger facing downward.If I moved the plunger, the engine stumbled and belched smoke at idle. I disconnected the pipe in the same way that other people have killed their EGR,( by blocking the pipe) and the old girl does not rev and splutter at idle, although it did stop dead at idle today.Any other things I should look at(unplug-dismantle-hit with big hammer)??CHEERS.

Comment

Hi Kiwi Jim,
                        I studied the links kindly suggested, but being a bit of a dodo, most of it went over my head.However I checked things out visually, and noticed that the TPS had a vacuum(?) pipe running to an actuator with a plunger facing downward.If I moved the plunger, the engine stumbled and belched smoke at idle. I disconnected the pipe in the same way that other people have killed their EGR,( by blocking the pipe) and the old girl does not rev and splutter at idle, although it did stop dead at idle today.Any other things I should look at(unplug-dismantle-hit with big hammer)??CHEERS.
                        Really give all the vacuum hoses a good check to make sure none are split. HAve you tried putting a bottle pf diesel cleaner/additive through it try to get one you put in the fuel filter then run it. It may need a good clean out.
                        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                        My choice
                        Back off

Comment

Working...
                        X