Speaker repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker repairs

Does anyone know if you can repair speaker cones . I have aquired some very nice 220w Kenwood oval speakers , but one of the cones has seperated from the outer fabric material . The speaker works but I want to repair the cone to stop it seperating further . Has anyone done this before ? or am I wasting my time
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

If the cone is damaged, it can be repaired... but it is a real pain... you have to get the balance right... and sort it so that from a resonance perspective, it matches the other cone.

Increasing the weight of the cone will reduce the resonance, and to a certain degree the impedance. If the speaker is going in a sealed box, your repair will have to be air tight... either way, it wil have to be rather rigid... You'll notice some of the newer sub woofers have plastic covers bonded onto a paper cone, some don't use paper at all...

All in all try and get a new cone and motor unit, and swap the whole lot out... Evostic Professional seems to be the glue of choice, the really fine smooth stuff. Make sure your fly leads are solidly mounted too... all in all a complete pain, probably cheaper to source another pair... sorry...

Comment

Cheers Andy .
      Can not get cheaper then free ! I'll give it a go with the glue . They sound fine though even though it is split away . The cone is not paper but like a plastic type . New one on me , but they must be advantages over the old paper ones that rot out due to water ingress .
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

had some subwoofers in my truck when i bought it , one of those had been repaired looked like a clear rubber based glue , sounded good even sold them on and the fellah knew they had been repaired
        Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Working...
        X