rear window-fuse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear window-fuse?

'93 2.4 SSR-X. Rear window operates up and down from the key outside, but on the inside with the switch, it will only go up, but not lower.

Without really thinking, I changed the down relay anyway (but presumably I need not have bothered given the window still goes down by the key anyway), and have also had a look for kinks and any broken wires where the wiring enters the tailgate. All to no avail (although I'm still not certain about the apparent absence of a broken wire).

I know this is daft, but how many fuses are there for the rear window? I'm not missing something here am I?

could be the switch at fault .

i have noticed over the years with these switches on various cars , if you push down too hard the contact point pushes the pins futher into the multi plug end , my quick fix is to take out the switch undo the multi plug and use a small flat bladed screwdriver push the pins 1 at a time back up into the switch itself. carefull not to bend the pins . this seems to get the switch working again for a while .
    Last edited by internetsurfer; 16 May 2006, 07:55.

Comment

Originally posted by nev
      '93 2.4 SSR-X. Rear window operates up and down from the key outside, but on the inside with the switch, it will only go up, but not lower.

Without really thinking, I changed the down relay anyway (but presumably I need not have bothered given the window still goes down by the key anyway), and have also had a look for kinks and any broken wires where the wiring enters the tailgate. All to no avail (although I'm still not certain about the apparent absence of a broken wire).

I know this is daft, but how many fuses are there for the rear window? I'm not missing something here am I?

Its not the fuse, most likley the switch. as mentioned above.
      I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Yeah, the switch location is a bugger for filling up with crumbs and fluff.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

thank you lads. will try the switch

Comment

switch-repaired

You were correct about the switch.

Removed the centre console by the two screws near the seat bases, one either side of the console, and the two screws inside the flip open lid, disconnected the wiring junction, and removed the switch mechanism.

Opened the switch mechanism by removing the quarter turn bulb and releasing the four plastic lips holding the unit together and then got access inside.

The switch is connected to a sprung arm which depresses either the 'up' end or the 'lower' end of a metal see/saw mechanism which completes a circuit in contact with two circular copper coloured contacts, and it was this that was caked in grease and what looked like a small piece of wood! (Aye, inside a sealed unit.) Degreased it using toluene and bingo, all well.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
            X