battery stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battery stuff

can anyone tell me the manufacturers requirement for CCA's on a 2nd gen with only one battery.

(I've been getting away with 360 CCA's from a battery taken of another car for six mths now but its time to save myself from a non-start which is coming soon)

Lucky posted 700+ was needed recently but thats a big battery and would be too big for my little battery tray.

Originally posted by JimL
    can anyone tell me the manufacturers requirement for CCA's on a 2nd gen with only one battery.

(I've been getting away with 360 CCA's from a battery taken of another car for six mths now but its time to save myself from a non-start which is coming soon)

Lucky posted 700+ was needed recently but thats a big battery and would be too big for my little battery tray.
    jim, if you get a diesel battery the size of the tray it fits in it will be plenty powerful enough for the job
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
    [size=5][/size]
    [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Originally posted by gemini
      jim, if you get a diesel battery the size of the tray it fits in it will be plenty powerful enough for the job
      battery size is 260mm long x 170mm wide x 200mm high, you willl find the power is related to the size of the battery, this is the proper size for the surf
      [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
      [size=5][/size]
      [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

I am pretty sure the CCA figure is 700 Amps. The two standard batteries are around 380 CCA originally I think and are in parallel to make up the requirement. Thats why it's got two batteries - they are cheap ones that can't do the job on their own.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
          I am pretty sure the CCA figure is 700 Amps. The two standard batteries are around 380 CCA originally I think and are in parallel to make up the requirement. Thats why it's got two batteries - they are cheap ones that can't do the job on their own.

Cheers
          PS if you want a small battery that will do the job properly then get an Optima or Exide Maxima, both of which do 1200 CCA batteries that will fit.

Comment

I dropped into local auto shop. He had a 700cca battery which he reckoned was only for tractors. The next one down did about 570cca and it had the code 088 on it, seems this code relates to a size system which manufacturers go by. Each manufacturer can build his own '088' but they will all differ on ColdCrankingAmps and ResidualCapacity. If anyone can confirm this then we'd be able to find out for sure which no. is the size for the surf's main battery, and take it from there as regards finding the best one for your climate (differs from hot countries to cold ones).

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
              I dropped into local auto shop. He had a 700cca battery which he reckoned was only for tractors. The next one down did about 570cca and it had the code 088 on it, seems this code relates to a size system which manufacturers go by. Each manufacturer can build his own '088' but they will all differ on ColdCrankingAmps and ResidualCapacity. If anyone can confirm this then we'd be able to find out for sure which no. is the size for the surf's main battery, and take it from there as regards finding the best one for your climate (differs from hot countries to cold ones).
              Don't know if this helps, just checked mine

Delco 80D26R (drivers side)
              Delco 80D26L (passenger side)

CCA................580
              Amp hr............75
              Reserve cap.....140
              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
              My choice
              Back off

Comment

I got the battery specs below from a Jap site for a KZN185 (3rd gen, 3.0 TD). Different spec Surfs have different battery(s) depending whether they are standard, standard with Cold Area Spec, or SSR-G with Cold Area spec Surfs (from what I can gather from Jap sites). The Cold Area spec seems to mean you have 2 batteries (on SSR-G), a rear heater and 50% antifreeze mix as opposed to 33%.

I have no idea how accuarate this is:
                In the first one below, it says 55D23L. The 55 is supposed to be the Ah. D is the capacity rating (ranges from A-G I believe, although i have no idea what they relate to). 23 is the lenght in cm. L means the negative terminal is on the left of the battery (I think. This works if you consider the front the battery being the longest side that has the terminals closest to you).

--------------------------------------------------
                KZN-185 (1KZ-TE) Battery Specs:

Standard
                55D23L
                Maximum 75D23L

Cold area specification
                80D26L

SSR-G (with cold area specification)
                80D26R+80D26L
                ------------------------------------------------------

I found some Toyota specs (including the CCA rating) on an 80D26L (&R) battery:

http://ecom.toyota-gib.com/Default.a...ID:12535NTD:20

Hope this helps, in some way or another !

Cheers
                Rob

Comment

--------------------------------------------------

Cold area specification
                  80D26L

SSR-G (with cold area specification)
                  80D26R+80D26L
                  ------------------------------------------------------

Rob[/QUOTE]

Thats the batteries I have as I have posted above but they are on a SSR Ltd 2.4 LN130, looks like its gonna be one of those optional extra who fitted what things.
                  Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                  My choice
                  Back off

Comment

I know - nothing ever seems to tie up with Surfs, does it?!
                    The info above is specific to a 3rd gen though - options may have been different...who knows

Comment

I've got a Merc 814 (6 litre, 6 cylinder) horse box which was fitted with 2 very large (600x200x200)truck batteries. After getting through the second set after 14 months each (typically out of warranty at £85 each trade!) I decided to go for the calcium technology batteries. (we use them at work also, but the wrong size for me)
                      The batteries are approximately 1/2 the size for the same amperage, about £70, and have a 5 year warranty.
                      The Merc now turns over like a jap motorbike, and keeps its charge for months on end. The space i saved gives me room for an extra water container.
                      I recommend considering this for your Surf.

Comment

Battery help

keeping with the battery subject, i have just got my first Surf, a 1994 SSR x LTD 3.0 and it has two batteries.
                        My question is.... i want to take a feed to a 12v winch on the vehicle and need to know which of the two batteries to take the feed from?
                        I'm guessing one is a leisure battery and that would be the best to put accesories from, but i may be wrong.
                        Cheers
                        Marty
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        [FONT=times new roman][/FONT][COLOR=red][I][B]1994 SSR X LTD 3.0[/B][/I][/COLOR]
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by mazzerman
                          keeping with the battery subject, i have just got my first Surf, a 1994 SSR x LTD 3.0 and it has two batteries.
                          My question is.... i want to take a feed to a 12v winch on the vehicle and need to know which of the two batteries to take the feed from?
                          I'm guessing one is a leisure battery and that would be the best to put accesories from, but i may be wrong.
                          Cheers
                          Marty
                          nah, they're both linked together
                          some people have put in a leisure battery, but then you need to separate them with a dual charging relay.
                          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by mazzerman
                            Cheers
                            Marty
                            If you are going to fit an electric winch you would be better to go the split charge and decent battery route. Fit an Optima Red Top for the starting battery and a Blue Top for the Accessories / Winch. That way you get a srong starting battery and also a good deep cycle one for the other stuff. Starting batteries are not made to take the abuse of a leisure battery and are not meant to go through the full charge - flat - full charge - flat routine.

Other than that if it's just for occasional use and you keep the engine running so that the battery doesn't go flat, use the one with the least cables on it for ease of fitting (Nearside is best).

Cheers

Comment

mine only has the one battery and i,ve had no bother with starting etc.
                              if its any use to anyone its a:

AC Delco premium car and truck battery, 95d 31r
                              CCA 620
                              reserve capacity? minutes 140
                              amp hours (20 hour rate) 80

hope this makes sense to someone or is any use to anyone

ship

Comment

Working...
                              X