intermittant electrical problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intermittant electrical problems

i have a number of intermittant faults on my Surf, I was wondering if anyone had any tips.

The first is the headlight alarm ( triggered when you open the door),which rarely works.

The second is the door open warning light which doesn't always sense when the tailgate is shut.

Finally, the hi-fi doesn't always doesn't always come on when the ignition is switched on and will not come on until the ignition is switched on next time.

If I need to off the dash, how heard/easy is this.

Any help appreciated.

Tony.

Originally posted by ant
    i have a number of intermittant faults on my Surf, I was wondering if anyone had any tips.

The first is the headlight alarm ( triggered when you open the door),which rarely works.

The second is the door open warning light which doesn't always sense when the tailgate is shut.

Finally, the hi-fi doesn't always doesn't always come on when the ignition is switched on and will not come on until the ignition is switched on next time.

If I need to off the dash, how heard/easy is this.

Any help appreciated.

Tony.

Tony.

Pretty easy, mine has been in and out like a fiddler's elbow. Have a look here for explanations on how to take out the upper, lower and centre dashboard sections.

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/

Cheers

Comment

Tony,

problems with door lights etc are usually caused by a poor earth or ditry switch. Lift the earth connections and clean them up and/or spray the switches with a switch cleaning fluid or even WD40.

My rear door open indicator stays on if the window is left down because the lock has to be down ti switch the light off. Does the lock always work when you close the window?

The stereo could be a poor connection to the switched 12V. or if you are unlucky it could be a start of a problem with the lock barrell internal workings. Does anything else not always work? My dad had this problem recently with a Volvo and it took 4 garages with computers to work it out.(found at the last when a 63 year old mechanic spotted it in 10 seconds without the 15 computer connections made!!)

Always start with the easiest options (earth connections!)

Good luck

Phil

Comment

Cheers Guys, I'll let you know how I get on.

Tony.

Comment

i have trouble with my drivers door switch... could eb weak spring, dirty contact or internals broken down.... cheap enough to replace!
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I would agree with all the otheres who have said check the earths. My rear door warning light does not extinguish, after the tailgate has been opened and closed without the ignition on, until I have opened and closed the rear window again. I thought that was normal.
            It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
            X