Fog Light Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fog Light Wiring

I've just bought a Fog Light wiring kit which has all the Earth cables, relays, switches, etc.

I can understand it all except for one bit. It says to connect the wire from the switch up to the side lights instead of to the battery.

I would have assumed the red fused wire went to the + battery terminal and the wire from the switch goes to the - terminal.

Why would it connect to the side lights? Is it so the Fogs will only work when the side lights are on? Could I still connect it to the battery so they work with or without the side lights?
    Just Vegging Out

Errr, dude!

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21769

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER

Yeah but, no but, yeah but . . . don't go givin me evils!!

Why the side lights though? Can't it just wire up to the - battery terminal? It'll save a lot of digging around trying to find the correct wire for the side lights?
      Just Vegging Out

Comment

The rear foglights are normally connected to the sidelight wiring, But I've always made the front fog/spotlights switched by the headlight wiring, as in this pic.......

The headlight main beam wire is green with a red tracer. The easiest one to get to is on the drivers side if you remove the battery.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 30 March 2006, 12:48.

Comment

Originally posted by The Hoffmeister
          Yeah but, no but, yeah but . . . don't go givin me evils!!

Why the side lights though? Can't it just wire up to the - battery terminal? It'll save a lot of digging around trying to find the correct wire for the side lights?

I think Legally the fog light can not be connected directly to a live, it has to be switched thru the lighting circuit. Idea being that if its clear and bright enough not to need your lights on then you aint gunna need your fogs either.

Al.
          I used to have a surf me!

Comment

The rear foglights are normally connected to the sidelight wiring, But I've always made the front fog/spotlights switched by the headlight wiring, as in this pic.......

The headlight dipped beam wire is green with a red tracer. The easiest one to get to is on the drivers side if you remove the battery.
            erm, isn't red/green the MAIN beam ?

Trev
            Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

auto electrics ?

Just wish I could find somebody who fits lights !These wiring diagrams hurt my eyes ! Only if only I would even dare to wire some lights to my precious machine ,I like the look of the spots from Roughtrax and they even supply a wiring pack etc but fit them ? Oh no! Anybody near Doncaster or Barnsley ???
              Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
                erm, isn't red/green the MAIN beam ?

Trev

Yup, you're right! D'oh!

D'you think any one will notice?

Comment

Originally posted by John h
                  Just wish I could find somebody who fits lights !These wiring diagrams hurt my eyes ! Only if only I would even dare to wire some lights to my precious machine ,I like the look of the spots from Roughtrax and they even supply a wiring pack etc but fit them ? Oh no! Anybody near Doncaster or Barnsley ???
                  If my wiring kit arrives I will be doing mine this weekend, got 2 big fat 100w rectangular driving lamps to fit, and 2 LED spots to add to the 2 55W fogs.

Trev
                  Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Many thanks for posting the diagram Bushwacker. I just wired my front lights up and work perfectly. Cheers

Comment

Woo Hoo! I helped someone!

Comment

Gutted

Just rub it in won't you !Not everyone is as brave as you guys,

Comment

John

welcome to another south yorks surfer.

I had the same initial fears as you when I wired up my spots. Used the wiring diagram that cam with the kit, only prob is finding the right sidelight wire to tap into.

I solved this by attaching my feed at the back of the drivers side sidelight - the unit only has 2 wires so try one & if it don't work , use the other one.

Hardest bit is making the wiring look neat & tidy (god bless zip ties).

If you really struggle, send me a pm with your contact details & I'll pop over to have a look (& a cuppa) - I'm not a sparky tho - must be just lucky!!

ta

hawaii
                          I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

South Yorkshire Surfer

Hawaii
                            You may regret that offer ! Do you recommend any particular supplier for the lamps ? Or do the ones from Roughtrax meet your approval ?

thanx again mate

John

Comment

Big Helper

Woo Hoo! I helped someone!
                              Bushwhacker,
                              I can't believe you posted that ?

looking back at all the times you have 'helped someone' you should have lost count by now !

Keep up the good work , this site is built on all you knowledgable guys that keeps us lesser mortals from doing something stupid (and costly)

Comment

Working...
                              X