Electric socket in load area ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric socket in load area ?

The more I view this site the more I learn !!!I've had more info from this site than from Toyota !

Apparently my 96N KV185 ? has a power socket on the left wall of the rear load area it shows a dual voltage, my son has used the 12v socket for his PSP and phone but there is another socket at the side ?

Anybody got any info about it ?

confused new surfer
    Death rides a Black Horse

Originally posted by John h
    The more I view this site the more I learn !!!I've had more info from this site than from Toyota !

Apparently my 96N KV185 ? has a power socket on the left wall of the rear load area it shows a dual voltage, my son has used the 12v socket for his PSP and phone but there is another socket at the side ?

Anybody got any info about it ?

confused new surfer
    Its probably a KZN185 you have
    The socket is not a standard fitment on a 96 Surf (some US 4Runners may have had them), it may have been a factory option (though not heard of it on a '96) or fitted later.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Maybe the other socket is for a coolbox/mini fridge or for towing electrics.

Comment

Socket

Sorry my mistake ,just been out to the car park yes it is a kz185 ! The socket is a Toyota fitted part complete with cover flap,on the flap it saysDC12V/AC100V100W.The socket sits up to the left of the side locker but can't see where the wiring goes to.Anyone any ideas on wot I can run on this and where Ican get plugs to fit it ?
        Just got log book from dvla yr of man. is 96 so does that mean its 3rd gen ?

Comment

The socket is a Toyota fitted part complete with cover flap,on the flap it saysDC12V/AC100V100W.The socket sits up to the left of the side locker but can't see where the wiring goes to.Anyone any ideas on wot I can run on this and where Ican get plugs to fit it ?
          Looks like your vehicle may have a DC/AC inverter somewhere.The Japanese use household voltage of 100. If you have any appliance that runs on 100V then it can be used otherwise it's probably useless. Using a multimeter swiched to AC Current check for power at the socket.

Is this what the outlet looks like?

Will have this type of plug,

Info on power supply and connections for different countries here -

http://www.voltagevalet.com/country/all.html#zeta

Nev
          Last edited by NiftyNev; 21 March 2006, 13:11.

Comment

Sorry my mistake ,just been out to the car park yes it is a kz185 ! The socket is a Toyota fitted part complete with cover flap,on the flap it saysDC12V/AC100V100W.The socket sits up to the left of the side locker but can't see where the wiring goes to.Anyone any ideas on wot I can run on this and where Ican get plugs to fit it ?
            Just got log book from dvla yr of man. is 96 so does that mean its 3rd gen ?
            Being a 96 does not automatically make it a 3rd gen. A couple of the last 2nd gens hung around until 96 before being registered..... but the KZN185 bit says you have a 3.0TD 3rd Gen.

What can you run off it? well in the absence of the original manual for it, most items that consume under 100 Watts, ie portable TV, small fridge etc. Most inverters (can't say for sure about yours) do not produce a 100% normal AC output (something to do with the sine wave of the output I think) which means they are not suitable for use with inductive loads, ie drills, vacuum cleaners etc.

Beware of running too much on it unless you can ascertain that you have a split charge system fitted as otherwise you could run your battery(ies) flat!
            Many Surfs have a twin battery setup as standard, however they are not originally a split charge system
            Maurice
            Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Only one Battery !

Well thanx mates I think I'll just use the 12v socket .My pride and Joy has only one battery, I must admit I was surprised by this as many others seem to have the twin battery system (my old landcruiser had two batteries) I just thought by chance you guys in the know would have all the info.No surprises there then ! Very many thanx once again

John from Donny

Comment

Working...
              X