Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of battery?

Greetings from Downunder!

I have a 1992 4runner (HiluxSurf to most), 3.0L V6, Auto. For some reason, the battert keeps on running flat (i have had to replace the battery every 2 years). The battery brand is "Exide", and i don't know if they sell them in the UK... I have a niggling feeling that it may not just be a battery problem, but something associated with the alternator. Last week, i was stopped at a set of traffic lights, and Surf started to sputter, with the headlights dimming. The thing would eventually die and it takes a lot of effort to start it up again. This is really starting to worry me. I took it to a mechanic and asked him to adjust the idle, however the guy told me that the idle doesn't affect the charge rate... and showed me on a guage. He told me that the charge rate was less than optimal, saying that the best charge rate was around 14.5V. Is this correct?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. Have a good one!

Haz.

yeah, sounds like you have a duff alternator, or something is taking more charge than the alternator can give (big radio, amps, etc).

You may a dying battery AND a dying alternator, just make things more confusing to trouble-shoot.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I had exide batteries on mine and they were breaking down to 11volts after I had the Surf for eight months with a good alternator and they looked new. They dont seem to be that good because they both bulged out where the plates warped.

To check the alternator from a basic point of view you need a voltmeter on the battery. Check the battery voltage with the engine stopped and they should be at least 12 volts. Start the engine and the voltage should be around 12.8 volts on tickover. If you then rev the engine then the voltage should go up to the 14.5 volts. FYI my alternator gives 14.5 on tickover!

This only checks the operation of the rectifier pack on the alternator. If the above tests OK but you are still having problems when you have the lights, heater fans, etc on then the alternator is beginning to break down under load, the rotating parts are worn out and you will need a replacement.

With a dodgy alternator the batteries will give all the power and will eventually give up so I think as Tony suggested it needs replacing.
      If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Thanks guys for your detailed responses! Does anyone have any idea how much an alternator would cost? Its just that i have spent so much money on the 4Runner already, it is beginning to wear down my finances (2x Waterpumps, 2x Headgaskets, 1x Head). I know this is hard, but does anyone have an idea as to the cheapest alternative i can take to rectify this problem?

Once again, thanks for your help guys!

Haz.

Comment

Breakers yard alt. will get you out of trouble if cash is tight, probably find many Toyotas have the same one.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by GTR
            Thanks guys for your detailed responses! Does anyone have any idea how much an alternator would cost? Its just that i have spent so much money on the 4Runner already, it is beginning to wear down my finances (2x Waterpumps, 2x Headgaskets, 1x Head). I know this is hard, but does anyone have an idea as to the cheapest alternative i can take to rectify this problem?

Once again, thanks for your help guys!

Haz.

Have it overhauled, had mine done earlier this year, cost £50 with 1 years warranty, new one was over £180.
            Its still running fine.
            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
            My choice
            Back off

Comment

Working...
            X