twin batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• twin batteries

hi all, i,m pretty sure my surf started out with two batteries it has all the other winter pack stuff on it. it only has one now, if i want to go back too two is it as simple as earthing then running a wire from positive to positive?
    as it is it turns over and starts perfect at the moment but when i have heaters etc. on the lights dim and the gauges jump a bit would the extra battery sort this out?

That way would certainly work- it is only two batteries in parallel. But is the original wiring not still there?

Comment

Originally posted by charliemuttley
      That way would certainly work- it is only two batteries in parallel. But is the original wiring not still there?
      cheers m8 i had read on here before they should be in parallel but didn,t know what that meant
      the original wiring isnt there but that wouldn,t be the only thing missing under there lol

Comment

Hi there, where did you get your wheels from
        Drink Till she's cute, but stop before the wedding

Comment

they where on there when i got it so no idea who makes them or where they are from, sorry m8

Comment

Originally posted by jamsironwork
            as it is it turns over and starts perfect at the moment but when i have heaters etc. on the lights dim and the gauges jump a bit would the extra battery sort this out?
            If the lights dim as other things are turned on, it could be the alternator that's not putting out enough charge.

If that was the case, I think having 2 batteries could actually make things worse, as the alternator would be having to work twice as hard to charge two batteries at the same time..

Hope that makes sense!!
            It just does, OK?

Comment

Start engine, turn everything on and rev engine. If the headlights become brighter on reving the engine, the alternator is working and it could be that your battery is on it's out.

Comment

Hey did you get it sorted out, i am having the same prob. my a/c blower gets lower and the lights dim also the gauges jump.

I am also running one battery.

Comment

Just to let you all know it was sorted out, turns out it need proper grounding i also installed the second battery, just connect the positive side together and earth off to the body and engine on both battery.
                  The gauge stoped jumping and the lights did not dim any more.

The only bad thing that happened while doing that is the spanner touched the positive while tightening the clamps and it spark and burn the spanner, it was like welding it melt the spanner, could that cause any damage, so far it started fine.

Comment

Working...
                  X