X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice

Hi
    I've just bought a "L" reg 3.0ltr surf and have a questions:
    1) - The central locking will only "unlock" via they key or button on the key. My garage have said it might be worth swapping the central locking solinoid ont he drivers door - is this a good idea or does anyone have any other advice? will this allow the doors to be locked via button on the key.
    2) The cover by the ashtray is loose, so I took it off to have a look. There is black box device mounted onto a metal frame. Does anyone know what this is. Looks like it might be wired up to the stereo. The CD player is actually broken - should i get new toyota one so it fits in the dash properly?
    3) Just below the ignition switch is a joy-stick like switch that has a little green light on the end and goes into a hexaginal bolt - it doesn't appear to do anything.
    4) Does the surf (KZN130) have a manufacturer's factory fitted imbolizer and if so how would i get proof to show my insurance company?

thanks in advance.
    Last edited by fireblade; 6 March 2006, 15:36.

[QUOTE=fireblade]Hi
    I've just bought a "L" reg 3.0ltr surf and have a questions:
    1) - The central locking will only "unlock" via they key or button on the key. My garage have said it might be worth swapping the central locking solenoid on he drivers door - is this a good idea or does anyone have any other advice? will this allow the doors to be locked via button on the key.
    2) The cover by the ashtray is loose, so I took it off to have a look. There is black box device mounted onto a metal frame. Does anyone know what this is. Looks like it might be wired up to the stereo. The CD player is actually broken - should i get new toyota one so it fits in the dash properly?
    3) Just below the ignition switch is a joy-stick like switch that has a little green light on the end and goes into a hexaginal bolt - it doesn't appear to do anything.
    4) Does the surf (KZN130) have a manufacturer's factory fitted imbolizer and if so how would i get proof to show my insurance company?

Can't say much about the central locking but if its bust then fix it. The Immobilizer question as with the central locking I don't think these are factory fitted options on a 2nd gen surf so you need the paperwork that came with the immobiliser to send to your insurer.
    You should bin the broken cd and get a good up to date model. You can get these fitted for little cost or free and this gives you the peace of mind that if it doesn’t work then the installer must put it right.

Hope this helps

Steve

Comment

The black box under/behind the ashtray, if it's about half the size of a fag packet, is the ECU for the transmission.
      The "joystick" I have no idea on, but it's not standard.

Comment

1/ The central does only work off the drivers door.

2/ You only need a normal radio, and a double din adapter pocket to fill the big space, a Toyota radio will most likely just be a single radio size anyway.

3/ Sounds like a switch for something removed by previous owner, if its not the fog light switch.

4/ Try sitting in the car, remotely locking the doors, then try and start the truck, if it has an immobilser it won't turn over. If it starts with the doors locked, it hasn't, more likely if its just come from Japan.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
        X