Alternator rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator rebuild

Has anyone rebuilt their surfs alternator? I searched but can only find posts about spending £200 for a recon one but i'd prefer to spend 6 quid on bearings and get some MT's instead My problem is how to get the pulley end off without a vice and special service tools. Does anyone know a good bodge for this? There are 2 hex bits inside the pulley, do i take out the smaller one then the bigger one or does the bigger one just come out over the smaller, is the smaller one actually the end of the shaft....? what i don't know about alternators.....

Anyone have a part number or source for the brushes??

many thanks
    PM ME IF YOU'RE SELLING A 2ND GEN 3.0TD...

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...hlight=starter

ring this guy. He has about 5000 alts and starters lying around. Including surf parts.

He works from home and will give advise over the phone.

Al.
    I used to have a surf me!

Comment

i'v always used a ball joint splitter to get the pulley's off
      I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

Originally posted by NeilT
        Has anyone rebuilt their surfs alternator? I searched but can only find posts about spending £200 for a recon one but i'd prefer to spend 6 quid on bearings and get some MT's instead My problem is how to get the pulley end off without a vice and special service tools. Does anyone know a good bodge for this? There are 2 hex bits inside the pulley, do i take out the smaller one then the bigger one or does the bigger one just come out over the smaller, is the smaller one actually the end of the shaft....? what i don't know about alternators.....

Anyone have a part number or source for the brushes??

many thanks
        Hi,
        I have rebuilt a large number of alternators / starters and also but increasingly rarely nowadays -
        dynamo,s....
        My experience is such that a total rebuild including new bearings and a rewind are very rare, read not cost effective particularly the rewind....however I do not wish to put you off a bit of diy but would be surprised if you needed more than new brushes and a cleaned up slip ring..
        You can get brushes and more from someone like this:-

http://www.anglocarbon.com/acatalog/home.htm

You can get new units for good prices at somewhere like this:-

http://www.alternatormart.co.uk/About%20Us.htm

Have the make / model and any other details from the unit stamp to hand when you make contact...

Peter ( there are loads of local places who can supply brushes BTW like Delphi)

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

The lone genius in his shed sounds great but he's too far away, a dieing breed alas

Was all set to order the brushes from Anglo Carbon, only 23 pence a pair! but they have a £20 minimum order policy.... ashtrays on motorbikes

I should have said I don't need a rewind just new bearings, very noisy and replace the half worn brushes while I'm at it. I'm going to ask at a auto electrical place tomorrow see how much they want to open it up and put £10 worth of bearings in it. £80 probably. I need a fecking garage and a vice and more tools and a heater and someone to bring me tea and bandage my multiple cuts and grazes now and then...

Comment

Originally posted by NeilT

The lone genius in his shed sounds great but he's too far away, a dieing breed alas

brings a tear to the eye......
            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
              brings a tear to the eye......
              did you shed a tear or two?

auto electrical bod in town says "fffffuuuuurrrr, nah mate can't touch that, might break it." What use is he to anyone then?? He says £200 for recon with exchange, i said why do they want an exchange if it's not possible to recon it, and how did they recon one if it'll disintegrate if you try??

I phoned someone else and they said probably charge me 2 hours labor, to undo a few bolts and bash a couple of new bearings in. Too much money around here.

I'm putting it back in as it is until i get a garage of my own. Maybe i can find a shed on ebay....

Comment

Working...
              X