cold starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cold starting

My surf as problems when cold starting it run very rough for anything up to 20 seconds with a lot of black smoke from the exhaust I renewed the glow plugs but the problem is still there its ok when hot
    I have also checked the feed to the plugs 10.7volt then drops to around 8 volts when the buzzer sounds
    Yesterday it would not start and flattened the batteries very quicky I have recharged them and It started after many attempts again running rough for several seconds could this be a battery problem they are the original ones and are now 15+years old

Sounds like your batteries are knackered. They should put out more voltage than that to the glowplugs. A diesel engine needs to spin over quite fast to create the compression needed to fire up. Check your alternator belts are correctly adjusted too.
    The black smoke is the unburnt fuel from trying to start the engine.
    Change your air filter too if you haven't done so recently.
    Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 21 February 2006, 14:08.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      Sounds like your batteries are knackered. They should put out more voltage than that to the glowplugs.
      Vince

The Surf glow plugs do not operate on battery voltage. They are around 10.5 volts. Battery voltage will overheat them so there is a resistance somewhere in the circut to keep the voltage down.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo9112
        My surf as problems when cold starting it run very rough for anything up to 20 seconds with a lot of black smoke from the exhaust I renewed the glow plugs but the problem is still there its ok when hot
        What's the compression on the engine like?

Nev

Comment

Haven’t tested the compression (no equipment) but it pulls ok with no smoke even with a car trailer on the back I have just tested the batteries and most of the cells are still in the orange (half charged) even after being on charge over night so it looks like a trip to the local motor factors

Comment

BOSCH......... You pay for what you get !!

Comment

Working...
            X