loose wire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loose wire?

hi everyone, i think that i have a loose wire or conection to my window controlls on the drivers side door. it sometimes makes contact when i touch the sleve with the wires where the hinge of the door is. could anyone please tell me how to get to theese wires? cheers
    9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB!

It will be easier to take the door panel off to get to the wires, as they are virtually imposible to get to the other end unless you're a contortionist and have hands the size of a two year old.

Comment

Originally posted by BETRAYAL
      hi everyone, i think that i have a loose wire or conection to my window controlls on the drivers side door. it sometimes makes contact when i touch the sleve with the wires where the hinge of the door is. could anyone please tell me how to get to theese wires? cheers
      I have had a similar anoying problem with my drivers door. the little red lamp built into the door trim which comes on when you open the door - only comes on when the door is open at a certain angle. I fear the loom is damaged/worn through where it comes through the door pillar/door conduit. I'm reluctant to investigate at this cold dark time of year for fear of opening a rather large can of worms.
      Any body else had this problem??
      Me thinks it's a summer time job!!
      Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

My front passenger side window will not go up or down with drivers door open fully. Close the door a little and everything works fine. Not bad considering the door has probably been opened and closed thousands of times. Something has to wear out eventually with all that flexing of the wiring. Wonder how much Toyota charge for a new drivers door loom???

Nev

Comment

As Bushwacker said..you need to remove the door card..If i remember when I tightened up one of the runner on the passengers window you prize the controls out of the door handle to get to the connector
          Gaz

Comment

Ive managed to get the door panal off and look at what im up against ( DO NOT TAKE THAT LITTLE SPRING OUT OF THE DOOR HANDLE!! Its easier to push the inside opening handle through the door card.. It took me ages put the spring back) from what i see there doesnt seem to be much visable damage or bad conections, i think its from the hinge of the door to where it goes off to the engine. The problem is that when this conection fails, i loose power to all of the inside controlls to the windows and mirrors, this includes the rear window button. my sunroof works fine..
            Nev i think our problems are kind of the same? im stuck for ideas
            9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB!

Comment

Had same problems on my Runner, it was a broken wire (twice both rear windows). Open door fully didn't work, shut door a little and this was enough to touch the broken wire and work the window.
              Took off door card and kick panel in footwell, ran new wire and joined it in the door and behind kick panel. Both wires broke in the door opening, behind the flexible cover.
              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
              My choice
              Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
                Had same problems on my Runner, it was a broken wire (twice both rear windows). Open door fully didn't work, shut door a little and this was enough to touch the broken wire and work the window.
                Took off door card and kick panel in footwell, ran new wire and joined it in the door and behind kick panel. Both wires broke in the door opening, behind the flexible cover.
                yeps thats the 1! if i wiggle the flexible cover it makes conection. i dunno if im experienced enogh to takle the problem myself, could u send me some fool proof information any1 please to help me with this?

p.s. time is on my side for a few week!
                9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB!

Comment

Originally posted by BETRAYAL
                  yeps thats the 1! if i wiggle the flexible cover it makes conection. i dunno if im experienced enogh to takle the problem myself, could u send me some fool proof information any1 please to help me with this?

p.s. time is on my side for a few week!
                  Hi,
                  the fixer needs a probe which is basically a test lamp (6 /12 /24 volt )with a tiny spike at both ends of the through cable....this rig is used to pinpoint / power up / test the individual circuits...those that only power up through the test rig need to be replaced OR repaired (if you can isolate the exact position of broken wire/s) otherwise run an additional (new) similar cable alongside...its an easy job also to check out earths and other connections...

Peter..( hope this is clear enough - I find it easier to do, than describe)

Comment

Wheres the wire!

Yup, just being rewiring the drivers door loom all day today, found 2 broken wires in the region where the loom jumps from the door to the car - you know the rubber bit... real pain in the backside.

Bit short on time at the mo but if you have any questions please email me...

PS fixed the wires but now I have blowen the fuse to the Window control unit... any ideas where the fuse is located???

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by snapper
                      Yup, just being rewiring the drivers door loom all day today, found 2 broken wires in the region where the loom jumps from the door to the car - you know the rubber bit... real pain in the backside.

Bit short on time at the mo but if you have any questions please email me...

PS fixed the wires but now I have blowen the fuse to the Window control unit... any ideas where the fuse is located???

Cheers
                      i think they are on the drivers side kick panel (side of the foowell) thats where i replaced the fuse for my headlights..
                      9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB!

Comment

Working...
                      X