fuel guage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel guage

does anyone know why the fuel guage reads even when the ignition is off.

Originally posted by Tonto
    This was started by the Japs Many years ago on the mark 1 honda accord. It has since spread to almost all cars with analogue dials and almost certainly all Jap cars. Someone once told me it was to do away with the need to make a circuit live anywhere in the tank (even insulated ones) and instead they use a system that somehow senses the proximity of a magnet in relationship to a copper coil all encased in a plastic sleeve.
    I used to have a surf me!

Comment

It's because of the magnet fitted to the right hand side of the gauge to make you think that the Surf is excellent on fuel economy. I you want proof, just fill your tank up and be amazed as the needle hardly moves for a few days and then, when the magnet can't hold it an more, the needle will zoom accross to the empty mark.

Comment

Because it does!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

is it because there is still the same amount of fuel in the tank?
          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

its an idea invented by car thieves so they can c if its worth nicking,no good on mine as its always empty,

that was one of the probs with the cossies they did the same
            more fuel = longer joy ride
            Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Originally posted by john.sally
              its an idea invented by car thieves so they can c if its worth nicking,no good on mine as its always empty,

that was one of the probs with the cossies they did the same
              more fuel = longer joy ride
              Very true. I remember wondering what the insurance companies made of this idea>
              I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Fuel Gauge

I think its designed this way so that when I reset the timing belt light it makes me look a right prat when I think its stuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The real reason the Surf guage reads all the time is because it takes nearly 10 mins to rise after filling up. Can you imagine having to think. "Is it full, is it empty," every time you switch the ignition on?
                  It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                    It's because of the magnet fitted to the right hand side of the gauge to make you think that the Surf is excellent on fuel economy. I you want proof, just fill your tank up and be amazed as the needle hardly moves for a few days and then, when the magnet can't hold it an more, the needle will zoom accross to the empty mark.

Aah! so its not just mine...that seems to develop a drink problem somewhere down the line
                    Gaz

Comment

Working...
                    X