horn not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• horn not working

After flooding the surf last thing not working still is the horns, pulled multiple strands of hair out, help needed!

I've got 2 horns, one either side of rad
    Steering wheel switch works, gives 12v across fuse when pressed
    Horns work and are earthed correctly, if i bring 12v direct from battery they work.
    all other nearby electricals work inc hazard lights

Is there a relay between fuse and horn that could be shorting? I've checked for other posts and tried looking at wiring diagrams but am none the wiser. Getting desperate please help!

many thanks
    Neil
    Last edited by NeilT; 21 January 2006, 18:25.
    PM ME IF YOU'RE SELLING A 2ND GEN 3.0TD...

PLEASE!!!

I'm well confused over here I've managed to work out via my very sh1te Max Ellery manual (hair loss every time i try to use it ) that there will be a relay somewhere. Does anyone know which one it is, numbers on it or location? Drivers side foot well seems most likely but i can't find it.

I don't get how there can be 12v across the fuse with the steering wheel switch pressed if the circuit doesn't complete through the horn. The only reason must be a short but if it's shorting why doesn't it blow the fuse?

If the relay is in the foot well it took a muddy bath but for the S wheel switch to make a difference at the fuse box surely the relay is working.... or does it? Then it's the wiring from the relay to the horns....?

There is only one wire in the steering wheel switch, does the switch earth to operate the relay and that gives the volts across the fuse?

AAAARRRRGGGHH i don't know anything about car electrics

Comment

What do you mean by 'there's 12 V ACROSS the fuse'?

If you're literally measuring across the fuse, there shouldn't be ANY voltage difference. A fuse is a bit of metal. Any voltage difference must mean that that bit of metal isn't there. In other words... your fuse has blown!!
      It just does, OK?

Comment

i took the fuse out and measured across the gap, 0v without pressing switch then 12v with pressing. Clutching at straws basically, not really sure what it proves other than the switch on the steering wheel does something!

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by NeilT

There is only one wire in the steering wheel switch, does the switch earth to operate the relay and that gives the volts across the fuse?
          Yup, the horn is earth switched, the horn coil is probably still OK, so the fuse isn't blowing, but cos its filled with manky water the horn won't make any noise.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

think I'm working out how relays work, there are 2 circuits involved, one from battery through relay into steering wheel switch and when that earths, the circuit that's established makes another switch inside the relay close to complete the 2nd circuit (battery to horn). If this is right it explains why there is any voltage through the fuse when the SW switch is earthed and the problem could be that the relay isn't working properly (doesn't close to make the 2nd circuit), or there is a break in the wire from relay to horn, but it isn't that the relay IS working but a wire from relay to horn is shorting - or the fuse would blow. If muck in relay are they serviceable? Still don't know which relay it is though......

If that's all wrong I'm going back to bed

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
              Yup, the horn is earth switched, the horn coil is probably still OK, so the fuse isn't blowing, but cos its filled with manky water the horn won't make any noise.
              Cheers Tony, Don't know what a horn coil is though..... I'm off to prod around the relays with a volt meter. Do the relays just pull off ok usually? they seem quite well attached with a cautious tug.

Comment

Cheers Tony, Don't know what a horn coil is though..... I'm off to prod around the relays with a volt meter. Do the relays just pull off ok usually? they seem quite well attached with a cautious tug.
                Its in the horn, what makes the horn work and make horny noises. The relays should just pull out normally.

If you've got two horns, someone been in there messing with it and altering things so it might not be standard wiring anymore.

Comment

Found it! Mirror and torch job, must get one of those dentists mirrors from somewhere.

In case anyone needs it in the future - the horn relay on the 2nd gen is behind the drivers side kick plate, it's the only grey one, the smallest square one, lowest down the other side of the fuses. Sure enough it's a mess of green fur inside and theres a broken copper strand. I need a new one... toyota dealer only or should i try a car spares place?

cheers
                  Neil

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                    Its in the horn, what makes the horn work and make horny noises. The relays should just pull out normally.

If you've got two horns, someone been in there messing with it and altering things so it might not be standard wiring anymore.
                    I thought that two horns was standard, my 3rd gen has two and most of my 2nd gens have had two.

Comment

I've got two horns as well. Ain't I lucky.

Nev

Comment

toyota dealer only or should i try a car spares place?

cheers
                        Neil
                        Take it out and see if the spares place can match it. It may be a standard type.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                          Take it out and see if the spares place can match it. It may be a standard type.

Nev
                          Cheers Nev, I'll do that. What i really need is a breaking 2nd gen, there must be more bits corroding away that are waiting to fail.

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev

Nev
                            To be honest the standard horn is a little girly, I'd just get a better one from a car shop

Comment

Originally posted by andy
                              I thought that two horns was standard, my 3rd gen has two and most of my 2nd gens have had two.
                              Not really paid must attention, the 2 I broke for spares had one horn, so does Linda's

(gonna be look at every Surf that comes in for work now!!!!!)

Comment

Working...
                              X