Radiator Fan always on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator Fan always on?

I've noticed that the radiator fan, which has a viscous coupling, is always on, even when I start my surf cold. It turns OK when engine off, but there is some resistance. Should it do this, or is the coupling knackered or thermo switch faulty?

Thanks for any help.

sounds like your thermo swicth is either broke or somebody has removed the lead that plugs onto it and bypassed the supply with a bit of wire. often done to keep the fan working by people.

Be sure to have the ignition off if you have to removed a link from the plug as you will get one hell of a bite.

regards

sparkyaj

Comment

Originally posted by glutes
      I've noticed that the radiator fan, which has a viscous coupling, is always on, even when I start my surf cold. It turns OK when engine off, but there is some resistance. Should it do this, or is the coupling knackered or thermo switch faulty?

Thanks for any help.

Sounds like you're talking about the mechanical fan which has no switches or other complications.
      As far as I know any problems with the viscous coupling would cause it not to work hard enough, rather than to work unnecessarily. Mine also operates all the time but I have read that you should be able to stop it with a rolled up newspaper when the engine is cold. never tried it myself but may be worth a go.
      Hope this helps
      Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. Will try the news paper test, but also check for any electrical connections. I wonder how much HP the fan uses if it's mechanical and driven directly off the engine? If noticeable, and thermostat controlled electric one might give me extra oomph, or even better, increased MPG!

Comment

Working...
        X