Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning Beeper

Hi All,

I have just bought my first Surf - 1993 K Plate 2.4TD auto. Wanted a 3L but couldn't afford it. Forum is excellent however I have been reading through the threads and I am worried that I have made the wrong choice as it seems every 2.4 has a cylinder head problem? Any out there who are still surviving on the first head? Mine has done 69000miles, so should I start saving the pennies now for the new head?

Anyhow's, my question is that when I put the key in the ignition, turn to 'on' and wait for the glowplug light to go out, I get a continuous warning beeper after about 7 secs which stays on and drives me crazy. Is this normal?
    Also my glowplug light is not going out - does this mean the glowplugs need changing? Surf starts fine even though light is not going out.

Thanks

Originally posted by martsco
    Hi All,

I have just bought my first Surf - 1993 K Plate 2.4TD auto. Wanted a 3L but couldn't afford it. Forum is excellent however I have been reading through the threads and I am worried that I have made the wrong choice as it seems every 2.4 has a cylinder head problem? Any out there who are still surviving on the first head? Mine has done 69000miles, so should I start saving the pennies now for the new head?

Anyhow's, my question is that when I put the key in the ignition, turn to 'on' and wait for the glowplug light to go out, I get a continuous warning beeper after about 7 secs which stays on and drives me crazy. Is this normal?
    Also my glowplug light is not going out - does this mean the glowplugs need changing? Surf starts fine even though light is not going out.

Thanks

welcome to the forum.i have the 93 2.4 aswell for just over 18 months with no probs i cant answer for the glowplugsbut if you dut a search in for glowplugs you should find the info you need as for the buzzer its probably in all surfs
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Thanks mate,

Should have mentioned that the buzzer goes out when the engine is started and there are no warning lights present when the engine is running. The buzzer only rings when the key is turned to on and I am waiting on the glowplugs heating.

Cheers,

Scott.

Comment

My glowplug light goes out after about 2 seconds, but after 6 or so seconds, I hear a 'clunk' from the glowplug relay. I then start the truck ok.

Sometimes, I miss the 'clunk', and soon get the warning buzzer sound. I guess it's to stop you accidently leaving the ignition on without the engine running...
        It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by martsco
          Hi All,

Thanks
          Hi,
          Your getting a welcome and some sympathy and that's fine, but we havent got to the bottom of this situation - yet - have we ?
          I have a son who lives near you, well grangemouth polmont way - so better give you good help in case we meet
          Your glow / preheater plugs - well they should be on and off very quick this weather - no more'n a second or two IF they are satisfactory...All your report gives me is the feeling that they ( one or more glowplugs ) may be DONE. Ignition OFF key out , raise hood, disconnect each glowplug and withdraw it from head - one at a time...Inspect glowplug for physical damage. Burnt or eroded glow plug tips can be caused by a bad injector spray pattern. Have the Injectors checked IF this sort of damage is found. (Your local LSUK Delphi) yeah Joe Lucas "green sign" will do this ) However, if the glow plugs are in good physical condition check them electrically using a 12 volt test lamp or continuity tester.. The glow plugs can be energised by applying 12 volts to them, to verify that they heat up evenly AND importantly in quick time. Observe the following precautions :- Support the glow plug by clamping it carefully in a vice or self-locking pliers. Remember - the plug will become red-hot. Makes sure the power supply or test lead incorporates a fuse or overload trip, to protect against damage from a short circuit....Dont Forget, allow the glow plug to cool down again for several minutes before attempting to handle it....
          A Glow Plug in Good Condition will /should start to glow RED at the tip after drawing current for five seconds or so...Any plug which takes much longer to start glowing OR which starts glowing in the middle instead of at the tip, is defective and is JUNK IMHO.....When re-fitting good glow plugs apply a smear of copper slip grease to the threads and tighten to correct torque NOT TOO TIGHT, Gud Luk, hope its just a few glow plugs and not injectors as well....

Peter

Comment

Thanks all,

I will check the glowplugs and see what kind of condition they are in.

Will adding a bottle of Wynn's possibly help improve the injectors spray pattern if the glowplugs are okay?

Regards,

Scott.

Comment

Working...
            X