Dim Headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dim Headlights

I seem to have dim headlights. When they are on, they seem bright enough (looking at them from outside the car) however they don't really seem to povide any light on the ground or in the distance. THey acctually seem slightly yellow. I';ve replaced the bulbs, had the altenator and battery checked.

Where does the power come from? Is this related to the power steering, as this seems heavier than usual?

Ta
    There are 10 kind of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

'There's no place like 127.0.0.1'

Power like all the electrics comes from the alternator/batteries. I would check the voltage at the lights, may be a bad earth.

Can't see it would be anything to do with the Power steering, that's just a red herring - check the P/S belt for slipping and tightness, make sure the level of fluid is where it should be, tyre pressures etc.

Comment

Originally posted by onlynik
      I seem to have dim headlights. When they are on, they seem bright enough (looking at them from outside the car) however they don't really seem to povide any light on the ground or in the distance. THey acctually seem slightly yellow. I';ve replaced the bulbs, had the altenator and battery checked.

Where does the power come from? Is this related to the power steering, as this seems heavier than usual?

Ta

I had a similar problem to this... My lights would dim then flicker and then go out all together... Found the problem to be dirt in the plug that goes onto the back ot the bulb... As lucky said.. "a bad earth"

Again don't think the to problems are connected

Joe
      Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by onlynik

Ta
        you will probably find it is due to the wiring harness!! the wire is so thin that the volt drop across it means you have less than 12v at the bulb and not much current either!! the only cure is to rewire the lights with heavier/thicker cable
        THE ORIGINAL CRAZY BITCH!

Comment

Thankyou...

glad you said it so that I didn't have to...

check the voltage at the battery with the engine running...
          then at the bulb socket with the lights on...

The difference is the drop caused by the wiring...

If that is the problem, drop me an email and I can make you up a loom to use the original wiring as the switching circuit.... Check out other posts on the subject...

Comment

Working...
          X