Fitting of a Thachem Cat 2 Immobiliser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting of a Thachem Cat 2 Immobiliser

I am about to have a Thachem Cat 2 Immobiliser fitted.
    I have seen some threads mention about the fitting affecting the turbo etc.
    I have a KZN-130.
    What should I not let the fitters do or not do?
    Could anyone advise

Cheers.
    BAL

Originally posted by parajet
    I am about to have a Thachem Cat 2 Immobiliser fitted.
    I have seen some threads mention about the fitting affecting the turbo etc.
    I have a KZN-130.
    What should I not let the fitters do or not do?
    Could anyone advise

Cheers.
    BAL
    Sorry cant help with fitting instructions as mine was done by the garage before I bought it, however it has never affected my Turbo!
    Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Don't know if there's a slight mis-understanding here m8.

Some people have a 'Turbo Timer' fitted, which is used to keep the engine running for a short time after you take your ignition key out. This allows the Turbo to cool and avoids 'cooking' the oil in the Turbo and possibly causing damage to the Turbo. If you do a search on the forum for Turbo Timer you'll find more details.

Anyhow...apparently having a Turbo Timer fitted conflicts with the operation of the Immobiliser or visa verse - since one is trying to keep the engine running and the other is trying to stop it. I removed my Turbo Timer before fitting the Immobiliser.

Don't know if that helps.

Rob
      Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Comment

Immobilisers.

Tell him to be carefull if wiring into the fuel pump. I had one fitted a while back when I had my 2.4 (lesson learned). The immobiliser sent spurious signals to the fuel pump and caused it smoke like you aint seen smoke before!! Oh and this apparantly damaged the turbo (they don't like neat diesel) and then the head went!!!

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by nednil
          Don't know if there's a slight mis-understanding here m8.

Anyhow...apparently having a Turbo Timer fitted conflicts with the operation of the Immobiliser or visa verse - since one is trying to keep the engine running and the other is trying to stop it. I removed my Turbo Timer before fitting the Immobiliser.

Don't know if that helps.

Rob
          I have both a Turbo Timer and a Thatchum Cat 2 immobiliser and they work fine together.
          Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Was only referring to the following:

"I got a thatcham cat.1 immob and alarm fitted, the only snag was it interfered with the turbo timer. Turbo timer gone and no probs. My insurance company also required me to have either cat.1 or cat.2 fitted." posted in September last year.

Comment

Originally posted by nednil
              Was only referring to the following:

"I got a thatcham cat.1 immob and alarm fitted, the only snag was it interfered with the turbo timer. Turbo timer gone and no probs. My insurance company also required me to have either cat.1 or cat.2 fitted." posted in September last year.
              Guess it depend on your set up then??
              Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

the turbo timer will affect the alarm, but not the immobiliser... the imobiliser won't set till the turbo timer has switched off so that should happen automatically.

the alarm won't set till the turbo timer has switched off either, but you have to manually set the alarm so will have to wait for the engine to stop first.

and you've got to make sure (as with any diesel) they don't immobilise the fuel pump circuit.
                nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Help

Originally posted by Linda
                  I have both a Turbo Timer and a Thatchum Cat 2 immobiliser and they work fine together.
                  Can someone help me please I've just bought a 2.4 K reg 93 surf ssrx and I need to know what I'm doing wrong if anything plse..the vehicle is a auto and to the right of it is the H/L gearbox unit for the 4x4 on that hanle is a knob that can be pressed in...The unit is in high with the 4x4 button NOT engaged the vehicle then drives fine if however I put the 4x4 handle into neutral and then place the auto box into either D or R it won't drive...If I re-engage H and leave the 4x4 unengaged then the vehicle drives spot on again...Is this ther norm please and does 4x4 either low or High only kick in when the button on the 4x4 handle is engaged...Please forgive me for bolting this on to your text but I'm U/S at this sort of thing any advice would be greatly appreciated from anyone my email is dg999@tiscali.co.uk...Thank you

Comment

have a guess what neutral means!!

H is high ratio 2wd or 4wd

L is low ratio 4wd only

what's it got to do with immobilisers god only knows!!
                    D'UH!
                    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Thanks for the info.
                      Greatly appreciated.
                      If there is anything else it would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                        the turbo timer will affect the alarm, but not the immobiliser... the imobiliser won't set till the turbo timer has switched off so that should happen automatically.

the alarm won't set till the turbo timer has switched off either, but you have to manually set the alarm so will have to wait for the engine to stop first.

and you've got to make sure (as with any diesel) they don't immobilise the fuel pump circuit.
                        All the pieces of the jigsaw are in place. Wonderful when you're equipped with all the info.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                        X