Bypass/disable Abs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bypass/disable Abs?

Well I love my 3rd Gen BUT I HATE ABS, especially when on the rough stuff = no brakes at all most of the time!!

So does anyone know if it's possible to turn it off? I read somewhere on here about pulling the fuse but wonder if anyone has come up with a way to engage/disengage via a switch? (ABS is great in the wet on tarseal, only cos I'm a leadboot!!)

I'd guess that I could just run one side of the ABS fuse through a switch on the dash, anyone had any experience of doing this and will switching the fuse disable my ABS without any adverse side effects?

Cheers
    Pete
    Life is not a dress rehearsal
    1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed
    (Auto's are for the indecisive!!)

I have no idea how ABS works but when I turn the ignition on a pump thing on the brakes runs for a few secs. Best to make sure the brakes dont loose all their assistance if you pull the fuse out. But why do the brakes play up off road, surely you dont use them that much?
    Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

why are autos for the indecisive?...

mine's never in the gear i want!... it's rubbish!
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by TJG
        I have no idea how ABS works but when I turn the ignition on a pump thing on the brakes runs for a few secs. Best to make sure the brakes dont loose all their assistance if you pull the fuse out. But why do the brakes play up off road, surely you dont use them that much?
        Over here in NZ we have lots of metal (read: gravel) roads.
        ABS is quite possibly the worst thing to have then as you can't really feel what the brakes/tyres are doing so what happens is the ABS goes spastic and refuses to put the brakes on, so you kind of glide to a halt rather than stopping sharply as you would with non ABS - but then maybe I just need to get used to the different feel.
        1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
          why are autos for the indecisive?...

mine's never in the gear i want!... it's rubbish!
          Well if you will go and buy an auto, what do you expect??
          1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed

Comment

On the 3rd gen, do you have a center diff lock for the full time 4wd, if so the ABS might automatically switch off when it is locked like my LC, if not then you would need to find the feed for the abs ecu and put a switch in the circuit that powers ABS.

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
              On the 3rd gen, do you have a center diff lock for the full time 4wd, if so the ABS might automatically switch off when it is locked like my LC, if not then you would need to find the feed for the abs ecu and put a switch in the circuit that powers ABS.
              or stop moaning and just enjoy yourself in your pride and joy lol
              I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

Found this on the web - its for a Land Cruiser but might be similar.http://www.safari4x4.com.au/80scool/tech/abs.html

Kev

Comment

Originally posted by exmee46
                  Found this on the web - its for a Land Cruiser but might be similar.http://www.safari4x4.com.au/80scool/tech/abs.html

Kev
                  Hmmmm...thanks for that, seems a bit of a clunky way to do it so am going to investigate further, first I'll just remove fuse (on a deserted, STRAIGHT road and see what happens) on my surf I have push button 4wd (free centre diff) and then have hi/lo with locked centre diff so this would seem to be slightly different set up to the LC. Thanks for the help though guys. Has given me a few alternatives to explore, oh well here goes for a soft landing if I get it all horribly wrong!!
                  1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed

Comment

DESERTED STRAIGHT ROAD!!!!!!!
                    Don't get them in England
                    Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                      Slightly different setup on the 3rd gen, can have either 2 or 4 wheel drive with open diff or hi/lo 4wd with locked diff, my guess is just removing power from ABS system SHOULD, HOPEFULLY turn it off without affecting anything else, theory being if there's no power to the sensors then the system can't activate so should operate as non ABS system? Maybe????
                      1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed

Comment

Working...
                      X