Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Ariel - Stuck!

Hi there,

My electric arial has decided to stop working. It is stuck just short of full retraction. I can hear the motor going but there is absolutely no movement up or down.

Any cunning ideas from anyone, can it be easily repaired or, as I suspect, do I search for a replacement?

Cheers,
    Tony.

no cunning ideas but can you push it at all?
    mine was bent and almost goes up and down it stops just short both times.

If you need a new one they sell them in the shop here.
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
      no cunning ideas but can you push it at all?
      mine was bent and almost goes up and down it stops just short both times.

If you need a new one they sell them in the shop here.

Thanks Tim,
      No, the ariel seems stuck fast. I can't pull it up or push it home.
      I guess I need to take the whole thing off the Surf and look at it properly.

Cheers,
      Tony.

Comment

Take the nut off around the bottom of the mast, you might be able to pull it out that way, could just be that toothed belt has broken.

Comment

Thanks Andy,

I will give it a go. Presumably, the whole unit needs to come off if it is a broken belt. Are they available as spares?

Cheers,
          Tony.

Comment

You should be able to just change the mast, they are available from the forum shop.

Click on the pictures at the top of page, if you need a hand just give me a shout.

Comment

If you take the nut off at the bottom of the mast with the stereo off (ie aerial retracted) then get someone to turn the stereo on whilst you gently pull the aerial up, it should come out. refitting is the opposite. poke the aerial cable in with the stereo on, then turn the stereo off and it should retract it.

Comment

Iif the plastic jobbie that pushes it up and down is broken you will have to take the wheel arch liner off and drop the whole thing out, whip the cover off and retrieve the lastbit. not too tricky a job. good fun feeding the new one in too!
                it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Thanks for all the hints.
                  I've removed the ariel and it is the plastic, toothed belt that has broken.
                  So I will follow Mr. Chillits advice.
                  Presumably, A new ariel comes complete with the belt???

Cheers, Tony
                  Last edited by Anthony; 26 July 2005, 08:40.

Comment

I just chucked the lot, and bought a rubber duck - the electric ariel is to easy to loose in hedges. cheaper too.

Comment

Originally posted by Medieval Dave
                      I just chucked the lot, and bought a rubber duck - the electric ariel is to easy to loose in hedges. cheaper too.
                      Mine packed up not long after i got it and i replaced with one of those leccy aerials that go on the inside of the windscreen,cost about £8-9 i think,no probs with reception and no chance of breaking it or some one snapping it!

Comment

I'm having a similar problem with my arial.

It struggles most of the way up. It used to then struggle back down - but now it wont do that! You need to push quite hard on it to get it to go back down.

I'm not really that interested in having it working - i just don't want it making that noise anytime I turn the radio on or off. Is there any way to simply disconnect the radio from the motor driving the arial?

Ta.

Comment

Remove the plastic liner under the passenger wheel arch and the plug for the aerial is under there.

Comment

Working...
                          X