alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternator

any one know how to tighten my alternator belt i know there is a bolt that you tighten but i tried this and snapped the bolt iv replaced it but dare not put to much pressure on it incase i snap it again were about are the locking bolts on the alternator that need to be slackened off first how many are there
    and what size are they just to make sure i have the right ones
    thanks alot
    mick

Originally posted by mick19691
    any one know how to tighten my alternator belt i know there is a bolt that you tighten but i tried this and snapped the bolt iv replaced it but dare not put to much pressure on it incase i snap it again were about are the locking bolts on the alternator that need to be slackened off first how many are there
    and what size are they just to make sure i have the right ones
    thanks alot
    mick
    AFAIK there are NO" locking bolts " as such just two pivot clamp bracket bolts.

If you lube the adjuster screw with plus gas or AC90 or such, get a cuppa and a caramel wafer, thereafter you should be able to move the adjuster slacker and tighter fairly easily. Because these adjuster/s are fitted to ancilliary equipment sited towards the front of the engine ( on the 1KZTE the aircon belt also has exposed adjuster screw) they get a fair amount of exposure to all elements.
    they can get very contaminated in the threads and somewhat dry read corroded so lube before re-adjustment is vital. These adjuster screws are infinately better than other makes of vehicle which rely on either special service tool or guesswork /bruteforce to tension the belt.

OR is this 2.4 so totally different from the 3.0 lump ?

Comment

The 2.4 has a tensioning bolt to the left of the alternator when stanidn in front of the truck. There are two locking bolts whose heads face the front of the truck (12 or 13mm) one at 1-o-clock and the other at about 5-0-clock. Good luck.
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

The adjuster will snap if you don't loosen the other bolt/s.There is the main Pivot bolt at bottom which may or may not need loosening a little.It depends on how tight it is or if there is any corosion.The other is on the Adjuster Bracket at top.Look in the area Phil has posted.When tightening the top bolt through Bracket into Alternator Body just tighten enough to secure firmly or it could snap as well.This was broken on mine and it was an Alternator out job to fix.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
          The adjuster will snap if you don't loosen the other bolt/s.There is the main Pivot bolt at bottom which may or may not need loosening a little.It depends on how tight it is or if there is any corosion.The other is on the Adjuster Bracket at top.Look in the area Phil has posted.When tightening the top bolt through Bracket into Alternator Body just tighten enough to secure firmly or it could snap as well.This was broken on mine and it was an Alternator out job to fix.

Neville
          thanks very much fellas iv done it thankfully, batterys charging properly now
          cheers mick

Comment

Working...
          X