Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-Belt Light

Hi,
    I got my surf 3 months ago (3.0 auto 3rd gen) with a new timing belt fitted but the timing belt light in dash has started to flash every now and again. I am told by not so reliable source that it is caused by a small grub screw comming loose on the rear of the speedo. Can anyone tell me if this is the case and if so is it easy to fix?
    Cheers.

When it reaches 100,000 km the T-Belt light will come on , and there are two methods of resetting the lamp , the easiest one is to remove the complete speedo , and on the back of the unit is a small screw , near that screw is another hole that is covered with tape , so you remove the screw and then insert it into the other hole , and that's it the lamp should go out with any luck .

Comment

Hi
      Good to see another surf owner in carterton! I got my 2nd gen 3.0 auto about a month ago and it is great! Just got to put the towbar on to tow the caravan now! the timing belt reminder light is different on the 2nd gen as it is just a question of removing a grommet in the plastic fascia and inserting a screwdiver or similar implement! What colour is your surf?
      mine is wine/grey m reg.
      regards
      Neil
      www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

Thanks Andy
        will this stop the light flashing every now and again? It doesn't come on most of the time. The speedo has been set to read MPH and I was told the ODO was set to reflect the miles run rather tha kilometers. My Surf has done just over 47K which would fall short of the 100,000Km. I would also assume that the timing device in the rear of the speedo would be set to indicate at 100,000 on the ODO. Any thoughts or advice would be greatfully recieved.

Comment

Hi Neil,
          Got my Surf in August. Its a N reg Silver 3rd gen. It is excellent at towing my caravan which is about 1.4t. Did you get yours locally? I noticed the other day that the Garage at the top of Carterton has got a couple in stock.
          Mike..

Comment

I would try the screw method first , and whilst you have the dash out check the bulb holder to make sure you have a good contact , I had a similar thing with my overdrive light flashing when O/D was turned off , so just bent the contacts on the bulb holder , it's working fine now .

Comment

Hi Mike
              I got mine from bristol Import centre, not cos they are a good dealer(read between the lines here)
              but they had a good stock of 3.0 autos. i am ex motor trade so was happy to sort the wheat from the chaff! I think i got a bit of wheat, time wiil tell! my van is only just over 1000kg so should tow well although i have bought a transmission cooler to fit when i put on the towbar.I always wanted one of these vehicles ever since I had a 3.0 t/d manual swb landcruiser as a co car! Now that really shifted!! Any way If i dont reply to any threads for a week im going in hospital today for an op on my leg
              Regards
              Neil

Comment

Oh by the way the garage at the top of carterton only has 2.4's
                (not that there is anything wrong with 2.4's but I wanted 3.0) that is so he dosn't have to sva them! And .........he buys them from auction at southampton docks, and they are not usually good grade vehicles. He priced his late 2.4's more than my 3.0 and they weren't in as good condition!
                you pays your money and takes your choice!
                Neil

Comment

Working...
                X