Battery details. 1 or 2 batteries??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery details. 1 or 2 batteries??

I've currently got two batteries on my LN130. Works well, but I do a bit of camping, and have extra power sockets in the boot, to run a fridge, and lights etc. But, obviously, these WILL run the batteries down, and leave me stranded if I use them for too long.

What I want to do, is install a split charging system, so my sockets and radio work off one battery, but the truck starts off the other. Once the truck is running, both batteries get charged.

I haven't a problem with doing the electrical work, but will one battery, in a truck meant to be started on two, do a satisfactory job in starting??

What sort of Ah rating batteries do trucks with one battery have?

Any help gratefully received!!!
    It just does, OK?

Have you seen this?.....http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/battery.htm

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      Yeah!!

That's pretty much what I wanna do, but that was done on a truck that originally had one battery. Mine has two. I'm concerned about halving the starting capacity of my truck, by removing one battery out of the starting circuit..
      It just does, OK?

Comment

To start a 2.4, you will need at least 700 amp cca battery.

Comment

Thanks 4 that. Do you know what size battery was fitted as standard to a single batteried surf?
          It just does, OK?

Comment

My 2.4 had a 650cca on and it started fine . I did think about getting a gel type battery ......like an Optima or similar . They've got double the cranking capacity of a HD battery , but cost an arm and a leg and only come with a 2 year warranty.
            You could always get one of each ( yellow and red tops I think ) They are designed to do just what you are looking for.
            Geoff http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_6_5.gif.... http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/police.gif......

Comment

Originally posted by bensonsnuts
              My 2.4 had a 650cca on and it started fine . I did think about getting a gel type battery ......like an Optima or similar . They've got double the cranking capacity of a HD battery , but cost an arm and a leg and only come with a 2 year warranty.
              You could always get one of each ( yellow and red tops I think ) They are designed to do just what you are looking for.

Did your truck start o.k. in freezing temperatures on a 650 cca?

I'm thinking about the leisure battery setup too. A 700 cca for starting, and an Optima yellow top for all the camping stuff.

Comment

why not stick a 3rd leisure battery under your car,
                I have the v6 and there is not room for a second battery under the bonnet so my first attempt I just placed the leisure battery in the boot and did the wiring to it, works really well.
                Since then I have been trying to work out where to move it to so its out the way, if you dont have the spare under the car you can easily stick it there.

Comment

Did your truck start o.k. in freezing temperatures on a 650 cca?

I'm thinking about the leisure battery setup too. A 700 cca for starting, and an Optima yellow top for all the camping stuff.
                  Yep , had a cheap heavy duty battery that lasted a couple of winters , then changed it for a 650cca calcium battery .
                  Geoff http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_6_5.gif.... http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/police.gif......

Comment

Another Question.....

Just thought of something else to ask!

Which battery is the 'extra' one on 2 battery set ups?

Am I right in assuming the passenger side battery is the 'normal' one?
                    It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
                      Just thought of something else to ask!

Which battery is the 'extra' one on 2 battery set ups?

Am I right in assuming the passenger side battery is the 'normal' one?
                      um... neither!

you can disconnect either one you want so long as the other's still wired up.
                      mine has 1 battery and it's the O/S one but the cables runs across the rad from the N/S
                      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Drivers side one is the main battery - runs the main cables from it. Passsenger side is the slave.

Comment

Two new bosch batteries. But...

Just an update,
                          Decided to use the warranty today and got a new Bosch battery. Green lights on for now. Kinda hope it was the battery and note some fault in the truck. I guess I will know in around 3 or 4 days when it goes flat.
                          I'll keep the post updated.
                          R

I did put this on the forum under another string,
                          but still learning the forum way
                          Any ideas?
                          I fitted two Bosch Silver lines 3 months ago. They have the little green lights to say all is well. While changing all the gearbox oils yesterday I noted one had lost the green light to indicate all was well. All the cables seem OK. Could the running in parallel stop this function? Or do you think it is time to use the 2 year warranty?
                          I think this forum is great. Found all the info I needed for oils and service on here yesterday. Ace
                          Any help is appreciated.
                          Originally posted by truckarms
                          why not stick a 3rd leisure battery under your car,
                          I have the v6 and there is not room for a second battery under the bonnet so my first attempt I just placed the leisure battery in the boot and did the wiring to it, works really well.
                          Since then I have been trying to work out where to move it to so its out the way, if you dont have the spare under the car you can easily stick it there.
                          Last edited by robin purser; 27 March 2006, 13:15. Reason: Used warranty cover

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                            um... neither!

you can disconnect either one you want so long as the other's still wired up.
                            mine has 1 battery and it's the O/S one but the cables runs across the rad from the N/S
                            Not so sure about that. Couple of weeks ago, I had trouble starting. Everything looked normal when I put key in ignition and turned it on, but as soon as I tried to crank the engine, all I got was a loud click, and everything went dead. Nothing, no interior lights radio, dash or headlights etc.
                            Whilst I was scratching my head, I noticed that door lights were back on. When I tried to start it, the same thing happened again.

Turned out (much later) that one of the terminal leads on the drivers side battery was so loose that it could be pulled off the terminal without too much force.

The fact that it was loose caused a complete power loss whenever I tried to start, and the passenger side battery seemed to be taken out of circuit at the same time.......
                            Cheers
                            Trev D.

Comment

Originally posted by trevdowle
                              Not so sure about that. Couple of weeks ago, I had trouble starting. Everything looked normal when I put key in ignition and turned it on, but as soon as I tried to crank the engine, all I got was a loud click, and everything went dead. Nothing, no interior lights radio, dash or headlights etc.
                              Whilst I was scratching my head, I noticed that door lights were back on. When I tried to start it, the same thing happened again.

Turned out (much later) that one of the terminal leads on the drivers side battery was so loose that it could be pulled off the terminal without too much force.

The fact that it was loose caused a complete power loss whenever I tried to start, and the passenger side battery seemed to be taken out of circuit at the same time.......
                              I had exactly the same thing, but it took some time to develop. Never got to the "Click" stage, still started but it was turning over slower and slower each time. The RH battry positive clamp had come off!

The charge problem was corrosion. The main feed is to the RH battery, which is connected across to the LH battery. In theory, both should work as one, it being a parallel connection, but the electricity has more joints to get through to get to the LH (passenger side) battery. My joints were pretty awful, and the connector on the battery terminal had corroded up as well. Once this starts, it will be self-perpetuating as less and less current will get through.

Since the RH terminal clamp came off again on Saturday (the day before Norfolk!) it got bodged with a proper bolt and there's a new clamp waiting to be fitted now. You may want to follow suit as the Toyota clamps are too delicate for my liking.

Comment

Working...
                              X