Rear Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Speakers

I was feeling very pleased with myself for managing to install a new Sony CD/Tuner head unit at weekend. It was very straightforward using instructions downloaded from site. Tested system -all seemed fine so put dashboard back together, gave myself a pat on the back and had a beer.
    Then I noticed rear speakers don't work unless aerial is up (if you select CD aerial retracts).
    Did a search and have figured out that live feed for rear speakers/amp must come off aeriel wire.
    Can anyone tell me how to get round this one?
    I used a wiring harness adapter and apart from a band expander added by dealer I bought Surf from everything looked original.

Thanks

Whilst in CD mode, press the AF/TA button. Aerial will pop up and rear speakers will start working.
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Comment

Just a cotten-pickin-minute...

Are you guys saying theres a seperate amplifier for the rear speakers ? Where ?

Some time ago, I ripped out the internal CD player and Cassette deck, fitted an LCD panel and a small computer with an audio power amp. Problem was I just couldn't get the rear speakers to work, so ended up fitting a set of pods in frustration.

I'd assumed that they had never worked and I'd never noticed, or there weren't any.
      There are six speaker type grills in the back and the speakers could be located behind any of them and it didn't look like a simple job to remove all the plastic trim to investigate.

However, if there's a seperate amp, that would explain why I couldn't tap out the wires correctly.

Comment

Thanks Slugsie
        Kcsl: I didn't realise there was a separate amp but it would appear to be the case. My rear speakers are in the boot just in front of the pockets where tool kit is.
        I had the trim of when wiring up towbar and it is a bit fiddly but you can get at speakers.

Comment

the rear side speakers are in pods with built it amps, they dont sound too bad to standard kit either
          and ive got the 2 up high as well
          Tim
          Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Thanks for the info chaps.

Looks like all that plastic trims comin off at he weekend...

Comment

What the...

Originally posted by dirtydog
              the rear side speakers are in pods with built it amps, they dont sound too bad to standard kit either
              and ive got the 2 up high as well
              If I want to upgrade the rear speakers, what is the best way to do it?

Should the rear speaker amps be scrapped and larger speakers installed without the pods that the original speakers come in?

I've tried disconnecting the amps and fitting new speakers to the pods but it sounds crap. Why are there amplifiers at the back?

Most stereos put out 30 to 50 watts so why have an additional amplifier for each rear speaker?

Comment

Originally posted by MattR
                If I want to upgrade the rear speakers, what is the best way to do it?

Should the rear speaker amps be scrapped and larger speakers installed without the pods that the original speakers come in?

I've tried disconnecting the amps and fitting new speakers to the pods but it sounds crap. Why are there amplifiers at the back?

Most stereos put out 30 to 50 watts so why have an additional amplifier for each rear speaker?

I'm going to try to connect up the headunit with the rear speakers and the mystery rear amp…. Any ideas of how this works and should most headunits be compatible with the Surf rear speaker setup?
                Are the connections from the headunit to the rear amp audio cable or speaker wire???

The replacement Pioneer CD headunit in mine is only connected to the front speakers via an ISO conector the previous owner used when he changed the original headunit (forgot to ask why he never tried sorting out the rear ones).

I haven't taken the head unit out, so not sure at this point what wires are left over / not currently connected to the ISO plug.

Cheers
                Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Pleinmont
                  I'm going to try to connect up the headunit with the rear speakers and the mystery rear amp…. Any ideas of how this works and should most headunits be compatible with the Surf rear speaker setup?
                  Are the connections from the headunit to the rear amp audio cable or speaker wire???

The replacement Pioneer CD headunit in mine is only connected to the front speakers via an ISO conector the previous owner used when he changed the original headunit (forgot to ask why he never tried sorting out the rear ones).

I haven't taken the head unit out, so not sure at this point what wires are left over / not currently connected to the ISO plug.

Cheers
                  Dan
                  Just done a search on the forum and theres a heap of information on these rear speakers... looks like i just gotta get that dash and rear trim off and go wire hunting

Hopefully get those back speakers sorted soon

Comment

Originally posted by Pleinmont
                    Just done a search on the forum and theres a heap of information on these rear speakers... looks like i just gotta get that dash and rear trim off and go wire hunting

Hopefully get those back speakers sorted soon
                    Checked it out earlier tonight and all the wires are fine at the dash end (ISO loom is all connected as it should be), so may be the aerial thing.

Mind you forgot to check the aerial trick using the TA button - but then again since the aerial is missing on my surf (some pike unscrewed it) that may not be much use until i fit one - still, encourages me to go buy a replacement

Comment

You can get one from the forum shop.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Ken
                        I was feeling very pleased with myself for managing to install a new Sony CD/Tuner head unit at weekend. It was very straightforward using instructions downloaded from site. Tested system -all seemed fine so put dashboard back together, gave myself a pat on the back and had a beer.
                        Then I noticed rear speakers don't work unless aerial is up (if you select CD aerial retracts).
                        Did a search and have figured out that live feed for rear speakers/amp must come off Aeriel wire.
                        Can anyone tell me how to get round this one?
                        I used a wiring harness adapter and apart from a band expander added by dealer I bought Surf from everything looked original.

Thanks
                        Hi All

Just change the auto antenna wire(Blue) and the AMP wire(blue/White) round and it will all work as when you put a CD in the antenna wire stops working as it no longer needs to be up

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by steve.keley
                          Hi All

Just change the auto antenna wire(Blue) and the AMP wire(blue/White) round and it will all work as when you put a CD in the antenna wire stops working as it no longer needs to be up

Steve
                          I have searched long and hard for that particular nugget of information. Cheers!

I tried the TA / AF button this morning on the way to work, but nothing happened - maybe because there isn't an aerial...

I'll have another look at the blue / blue white wiring on the ISO loom this weekend and see if that fixes it. I'm guessing that if i swap the wires around it shouldn't matter if theres an aerial or not - then again it might hehe

Just want my rear speakers to work

Comment

YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

All speakers working

Had another look behind the dash this afternoon and spotted that on my ISO loom (unknown type - sorry) it already had connectors prewired for the Remote Control Amp wire and a spare blue wire - they were just not connected.

Left everything else as it was and just plugged them together - hey presto - all speakers working (radio and CD too)....

If anyone else is reading this make sure you buy looms with connectors already on the end of the Remote Control Amp wire and another spare blue wire - if the ISO loom is the right one for a Toyota then this will be all you probably need to do.

Good sound from in the back too - pleasantly surprised for OE kit.

Comment

Me again...

I should correct the last email - the connectors i was on about were on the loom coming out the back of the CD head unit - not the ISO loom.

Just checked the loom in the forum shop and its not on that bit.

Sorry for any confusion..

Ease of use may depend on the stereo you buy I guess

Comment

Working...
                              X