sticky ignition switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sticky ignition switch

After driving for a while I find it really difficult to turn the ignition switch all the way off.It turns 1 notch to stop engine but is very difficult to turn the further 2 notches to allow me to remove my key.This only happens after driving,never when turning the ignition when idle,to listen to the radio etc.Any ideas what could be causing this?Would lubrication help(didn't want to do this un advised in case it damaged the inner workings of the ignition barrel)if so please advise type of lube.Cheers

RobD
    Powered by ????

Had a similar problem but it is nothing to do with the barrel if it is an Auto.

If it is an auto then the shifter needs to be well home in park or it will not let go of the key. There is a [edit]set of microswitches - error![edit] cable on the shifter that controls it. They may need adjusting/cleaning/replacing or you might just need to whack it in park a bit harder!!!

Hope this helps.

Rich.

P.S. YOu are putting it in park aren't you???
    Originally posted by RobD
    After driving for a while I find it really difficult to turn the ignition switch all the way off.It turns 1 notch to stop engine but is very difficult to turn the further 2 notches to allow me to remove my key.This only happens after driving,never when turning the ignition when idle,to listen to the radio etc.Any ideas what could be causing this?Would lubrication help(didn't want to do this un advised in case it damaged the inner workings of the ignition barrel)if so please advise type of lube.Cheers

RobD
    Last edited by rich; 13 November 2003, 21:05.
    If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Originally posted by rich
      Had a similar problem but it is nothing to do with the barrel if it is an Auto.

If it is an auto then the shifter needs to be well home in park or it will not let go of the key. There is a set of microswitches on the shifter that controls it. They may need adjusting/cleaning/replacing or you might just need to whack it in park a bit harder!!!

Hope this helps.

Rich.

P.S. YOu are putting it in park aren't you???
      Rich
      mines is manual transmission,but I do leave it in first gear to park in my driveway as it is pretty steep,would that have something to do with it?