Rear window scissor mechanism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear window scissor mechanism

Can anyone shed any light on the rear window scissor mechanism?
    Basically, I need to know what is on the back of the motor to drive the scissor arms to move the window.
    I assume its a gear which meshes with the quadrant behind the motor, but I haven't got it that far apart, yet!

The problem is the window sticks and stops,both in up and down, but the motor continues to rotate - if you give the window a helping hand it will move in the appropriate direction, but its a struggle to move it.

I've read the rest of the threads on the rear window problems, but they mainly seem to be electrical, this, I'm pretty sure, is mechanical.

Any words of wisdom, encouragement or amusement will be equally appreciated.

Cheers
    Redneck

The first thing to do is clean the whole mechanism, I removed all the grease and dirt from anywhere I could, I then got some new grease (stuff that does not attrack dirt dont know if it works that well but it was expensive) and regreased the mechanism.
    The fact that your's is sticking at the top and bottom probably meens that you are not missing any cogs or teeth (I had that problem when I got mine 4runner it stopped going up about an inch from the top as there were some teeth missing)
    If cleaning everything does not work, you might find you have to replace the motor, have a look round the forum you will see loads of places where you can get the motor from (i.e. other cars use the same motor in their doors)
    Hope that helps.

Comment

Its probably worn the gears on the motor or the regulator, if its the regulator your stuff and need a new one, unless you wanna weld bobs on the each gear tooth and them file it to the right shape.

Or the gear on the motor is worn, you can put little washers under the motor mount, to get it to run on a fresh peice of gear, or just preplace the motor.

One I did had worn the motor case where the shaft ran to the gear, and the gear wouldn't mesh properly, I drilled it out and made a bush and it was fine.

Keep the back window clean, the window runners need cleaning now and then, and the regulator needs lubing to keep it running smooth. Old window tinting drags on the seals sometimes. once the motor starts to struggle, your normally in trouble as the gears wear.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

rear window

I mucked about for ages with that damn rear window before buying a recon motor through 1st choice spares , took the whole mechanisim apart, cleaned and regreased it.
        It works beautifully now but they always start sticking again so a regular lubricating of all moving parts (every couple of months) keeps it sliding up and down nicely. I paid about £60 for the motor!
        ps: you could also try 24/7 spares both very good.
        Last edited by Paolo; 18 May 2005, 14:57.
        Anti 4x4 Proresters

Comment

What type of grease are people using for the rear window ?

There's so many types to choose from!

Thanks,
          Joe.

Comment

Vaseline works great! It dosn't matter, anything will help. Don't get to confused with all the techy rubbish, as long as its lubricated, it'll be OK.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks for all the advice, its very much appreciated.

I'll strip the whole thing down now I have a better idea of what to look for. Hopefully it will get sorted this weekend, weather permitting - it rains a lot here in the Western Isles.

Cheers
              Redneck

Comment

Working...
              X