Ecu software: very sad question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ecu software: very sad question.

Doing a google search there seems to be plenty of PC diagnostic software around for after-1996 engines. Apparently emissions control laws required the interface to be standardised then. I however have a 1992 surf which as everyone knows, has a diagnostic interface which can be interrogated with a paper clip. My question is, does anyone know of any software that will talk to a 1992 surf via this socket?
    I have installed an on-board carputer and would like to be able to see "live" engine data as I drive around. Sad eh?
    [B][I]Cool domains [URL=http://zennames.com][COLOR

friend of mine is in r&d for jag, one of the problems is aking a reading without changing it in the observation... its like schroedingers cat. the other problem is once you have read it, you cant do anything about it....newer stuff you can adjust as well as interogate. so you can floor the throttle on a xkr from the passenger seat with a laptop... aledgedly...
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Aah I know, sort of like quantum mechanics where you can change the orientation (spin) of a quark just by observing it! or sumptin...

Can you steer the jag with your laptop? or your xbox perhaps. Scary.

Originally posted by Chillitt
      friend of mine is in r&d for jag, one of the problems is aking a reading without changing it in the observation... its like schroedingers cat. the other problem is once you have read it, you cant do anything about it....newer stuff you can adjust as well as interogate. so you can floor the throttle on a xkr from the passenger seat with a laptop... aledgedly...

Comment

cant steer them yet cos d.o.t. wont let em do drive by wire, but you mess about a treat with the addaptive cruise....
        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

would that be a bit like having the gypsy on the back of you bumper car?
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

scream for speed.. ones just died, room for one more inside....fag ash down your neck.... fab
            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushman
              Doing a google search there seems to be plenty of PC diagnostic software around for after-1996 engines. Apparently emissions control laws required the interface to be standardised then. I however have a 1992 surf which as everyone knows, has a diagnostic interface which can be interrogated with a paper clip. My question is, does anyone know of any software that will talk to a 1992 surf via this socket?
              I have installed an on-board carputer and would like to be able to see "live" engine data as I drive around. Sad eh?
              I am doing the same thing, and about a year ago I did some research into this, but I might not have it completly correct.
              Newer cars have a system called obdii (or was it obd2 but i think it was the roman numerals for 2). This system you can buy a cable and some software that will let your car talk to your computer, it will tell you loads of stuff like fuel useage (have a look at this ) however I think pre 1995 surf/4 runners only have obdi the original system which is much simpler and as you say it can be checked using a paper clip. the shape of the diagnostic interface has not changed but i dont think it will work. I might be wrong but am not willing to spend 300+ to find out.
              Let me know if you find out differently.

Comment

Originally posted by truckarms
                the shape of the diagnostic interface has not changed but i dont think it will work. I might be wrong but am not willing to spend 300+ to find out.
                Let me know if you find out differently.
                Yip, its the money thats putting me off as well, although there seem to be some kits for around £100 but they do say beware pre-1996 and no promises made! I have rgeistered on another forum: digital-car.co.uk which has more stuff on this kind of thing. These dudes are really keen on "carputers" and even have rallies and things!

Chris

Comment

Working...
                X