Flat Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat Battery

Hi everyone,I could just do with a bit of advice.
    Firstly, in normal conditions what should the charging gauge be reading on the dash,mine reads about three quarters all the time.The problem i`m having is that every three weeks or so i need to jump start the surf.Today i topped up both batteries with demin water,they were a little low but no plates were showing.I`m not sure though if it`s something as simple as not enough use.I only really use it for going to work and thats only a 5 minute drive.It might not be getting enough running time in to charge both batteries.
    if anyone has any idears, then please ley me Know!
    cheers
    jack
    Stella Artois

Originally posted by jackster
    Firstly, in normal conditions what should the charging gauge be reading on the dash,mine reads about three quarters all the time.The problem i`m having is that every three weeks or so i need to jump start the surf.Today i topped up both batteries with demin water,they were a little low but no plates were showing.I`m not sure though if it`s something as simple as not enough use.I only really use it for going to work and thats only a 5 minute drive.It might not be getting enough running time in to charge both batteries.
    cheers
    jack
    You need to take the Surf into a garage or auto electricians for a load test on the batteries. Sticking a voltmeter across may show full voltage but when the batteries are under heavy load - especially when starting up, they may not support the load due to sulphation of the plates. The charge gauge on the Surf isn't particularly accurate so they should also check the alternator output but generally if you rev up gently with the headlights on you should be able to see the lights brighten up as you rev the engine and the alternator picks up the load. Most places will either not charge you or only charge a couple of quid to test the batteries - many advertise free winter checks anyway it's only a 2 minute job. It may simply be that with short runs you are not replacing what you take out of the batteries on start up. As a general rule a battery will lose approx 2% of it's capability a week simply by standing without use. A good overnight charge will keep them perked up.
    Last edited by Silversurfer; 30 March 2005, 17:10.
    Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

cheers
      jack
      Your just not using it enough!! the drain to start the car for what you putting back on a 5 min journey is too large! find a longer route to work or give it a 40 mile run once a week!! your doing your engine no good with such short runs all the time its never getting up to temp!

either that or charge the batteries regularly as you are doing to keep them topped up!
      THE ORIGINAL CRAZY BITCH!

Comment

Going up to the lakes tomorrow so that i`ll give it a good run,it`s about 65 miles which is the furthest i`ve ever been in it.Gonna be a bit of a problem though if these short trips are not doing it any good.I`ve no need to travel any great distances.
        Stella Artois

Comment

Going up to the lakes tomorrow so that i`ll give it a good run,it`s about 65 miles which is the furthest i`ve ever been in it.Gonna be a bit of a problem though if these short trips are not doing it any good.I`ve no need to travel any great distances.
          That run will do it no harm! It takes around 40 miles run (with all the electrical goodies turned off) to fully charge a completely flat battery. You will notice a difference in your surf after a run! Diesels need to be got up to temp regularly and given a good run out to keep them from coking up.
          THE ORIGINAL CRAZY BITCH!

Comment

Why did you buy such a big vehicle then? Just wondering!
            Derek :
            1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
            [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy
              Why did you buy such a big vehicle then? Just wondering!
              I often use the surf weather permitting to tow on the land.i`m one of the few who does at times put it in 4WD and use it away from tarmac.
              Stella Artois

Comment

I often use the surf weather permitting to tow on the land.i`m one of the few who does at times put it in 4WD and use it away from tarmac.
                Well Jackster, it would appear that your Surf will need a decent run at least once a week to keep it running well and not just to keep the batteries charged. As for being one of few using the 4WD selector................. If you look at the work most have done to their vehicles (lifts and tyres) and the pics you will see that many a Surf goes 4WDing.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by maverick_sr71; 2 April 2005, 12:27.
                Pete. R.
                93 SSRG
                1KZ-TE
                Canberra
                Australia
                [IMG]http://au.geocities.com/maverick_asraam/pictures_files/100_3790.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by maverick_sr71
                  Well Jackster, it would appear that your Surf will need a decent run at least once a week to keep it running well and not just to keep the batteries charged. As for being one of few using the 4WD selector................. If you look at the work most have done to their vehicles (lifts and tyres) and the pics you will see that many a Surf goes 4WDing.
                  What i ment to say was i use the surf to earn a living on the land, not as a recreational thing. going round a man made course.It`s completely different going on wet grassland where nobody else has been, than following someone else`s muddy ruts,Trouble is it`s still far to wet here
                  Stella Artois

Comment

I'm with Jackster on this, most owners of hiluxs (pickups for example) are farmers whose furthest trip is the local co-op every 2 days - they bought them coz they need them, the nissan sentras have all gone away now and theres none left to load up the boot with feed till the exhaust is draggin off the grass in the middle of the road.

Just imagine:

Farmers daughter: Mammy ring Daddy quick theres lambs on the way..
                    Farmers wife: I'll give him a call hes just popped out in the pickup.
                    (mobile rings)
                    Farmer: Hello?
                    Farmers wife: Where the f*ck are ya Silas? Theres 2 ewes lambing right now!
                    Farmer: Just givin the oul hilux a blast up the motorway, should be back later!

hehehehe

Comment

With twin batteries, both must be in similar condition or one will drag the other down (secretly while you sleep ). If one has been replaced on its own in the past, you may have this problem. Best to get them checked independently.

Starting on a cold morning will take say up to 600 amps for 1 or 2 seconds which is 10 - 20 amp hours. Your alternator charges at up to 60 amps so - that will need 10 to 20 mins to fully replace - thats if you are not using lights/fan etc. So a 5 min trip doesnt really put enough back in.

Kev

Comment

Working...
                      X