yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caravan site plug hookup on my hilux surf gen 1 !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caravan site plug hookup on my hilux surf gen 1 !!

Installed a caravan plug socket in my gen 1 today.

Connects to a trickle charger which charges both leisure and starter battery, and also a socket inside.

Really chuffed!

Parts required simply were:-

1) Trickle charger. Lots of choice, and you can spend anywhere from £15 to £100. My understanding of the differences is the current (amps) they provide; so presumably the size of battery they'll charge and how quick they'll charge. But take your pic. I located mine near the socket, and ran cables to the front of the car to connect to the batteries

2) 16A mains inlet socket (campervan / motorhome type)
    - This is what is mounted on the exterior of the car
    - You can plug in the standard cables you see on caravan sites, building sites, etc
    - It's quite deep (about 8 or 9cm)
    - To mount this I drew a traced a template of the rear of it on paper, traced it onto the car with marker, and then cut out the hole to mount it
    - Then mounted it with 4 bolts, nuts and washers

3) Two way power extension (double socket extension)
    - So the kind of 2 way extension socket you get in your house. I've used this inside the car to plug the trickle charger into, and the socket you see mounted in the boot
    - It's 13A fused
    - This is wired to the socket on the exterior of the car

4) Single mains socket
    - So this is the mains socket inside of the car
    - I cabled this up to a standard UK mains plug and plugged into the 2 way extension

5) Cable etc
    - So you'll need some cable to run the feed from the trickle charger to the batteries
    - And some short mains cable to wire up the extension etc

Thanks
    Rob
    Last edited by Admin; 15 November 2018, 21:16.
    Thanks
    Rob Watson (forum owner and admin)

or "standard 16amp plug" just as an fyi

just remember you are limited to 13a as you haven't done a ringmain, not the 16A that your socket and cable will be rated too.

You can make your own adapted up so you can plug it in to your house too.

ref battery chargers, that's a minefield. lots and lots of various types for various things. you can get computer programmable chargers to change the charge curve etc etc

Comment

16 vs 13amp.... yeah knew that but it's all good as all I'm running is a trickle charger plus maybe a laptop if I'm camping

Got an adapter plug with normal mains socket so my caravan lead is plugged in on the driveway. I wouldnt mind finding a less hidieous colour though.... that orange is bright! First things first though lol.
      Thanks
      Rob Watson (forum owner and admin)

Comment

you can grey armoured 16 amp cable

ah thats ok then! had visions of heaters running etc!!

you could get yourself an inverter as well for when you dont have mains power. but be sure to make sure it is off and unplugged before you use other power!!

Comment

Working...
        X