X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Batteries..

Hi Guys..

A question for you...

I have just got a 3.0L SSRX and I noticed that it has 2 batteries and wondered if the Surf uses one but in the event of failure it switches over or does it use them in parallel? If it uses them in parallel would one dead one not drag the other down?

Hmmm,,,on the keyboard of life, always keep a finger on the escape key....
    [I][B]96 3rd Gen in bluuuueeeee[/B]I]

parallel ,mate and when one of mine gave up the ghost it killed the other straight away, so two new ones later she starts on the button

Comment

Originally posted by angusglover
      Hi Guys..

A question for you...

I have just got a 3.0L SSRX and I noticed that it has 2 batteries and wondered if the Surf uses one but in the event of failure it switches over or does it use them in parallel? If it uses them in parallel would one dead one not drag the other down?

Hmmm,,,on the keyboard of life, always keep a finger on the escape key....
      Yes , the batteries work in parallel . Sometimes if one battery fails due to a fault or just old age it can deteriate the second battery . In an ideal world both batteries should be replaced at the same time to prevent the new one being damaged by the weaker old one .

Rick
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

2 Batteries...

Guys

Thanks for the replies...

So what exactly is the point of having 2 batteries? What purpose does it serve if one dying brings the other one down????
        [I][B]96 3rd Gen in bluuuueeeee[/B]I]

Comment

its some times referred to as a winter pack so its probably purly for power in cold weather and aux equipment lights heaters etc

Comment

The Surf engine has quite a high compression ratio I think around 23:1 so the starter pulls quite a huge load in amps. The two batteries are in parallel to provide the required amperage. Batteries loose quite a lot of power in severely cold weather so two batteries make sense.
            Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by angusglover
              Guys

Thanks for the replies...

So what exactly is the point of having 2 batteries? What purpose does it serve if one dying brings the other one down????
              You can have two smaller size batterys giving more power than one large battery. Theres not a lot of room under the bonnet.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Think about it from a manufacturers point of view.

two cheaper batteries... (still need approx 700amps to guarantee a turn over on the starter in cold weather) [also cold weather pack, gives you another electric blower and rear heater, and you'd be using your heated rear screen more.]

Same as cheap steel exhaust, long enough to keep the noise down. absolutely nothing to do with performance, all about noise levels and cost.

Do I hear a washing machine analogy coming along...

Customer goes "wow" two batteries...

Same as customer would go, "wow" 720bhp... (not when am I ever going to be able to use it?)

Comment

Working...
                X