Hilux Starting Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hilux Starting Problem

I am not sure if you can help me out or not but I will give it a shot.
    I live in Canada - I have a 1989 Toyota hilux 3L diesel, I am trying to solve some electrical troubles,

For the past week - on cold mornings my truck grumbles and shakes when I start my truck and it often takes a few seconds, I have tested the glow plugs for continuity and they seem fine, another thing that happens is a pulsing noise occurs for a few minutes after starting - the sound comes from the electronic relay that is located in the back left side of the engine compartment, this noise will stop if I turn the fan on or something else electric in the cab....I am not sure what to think of the situation and there are very few mechanics that are familiar with the toyota diesel becuase there aren't many of these trucks around (Japanese import).

If you can shed some light on the subject that would be great. renechap@hotmail.com

Hi there,
    Sounds as though not all cylinders are firing up initially this would cause the grumbling and lumpy start. check the air filter, Is the exhaust very grey/white or black, also did you check all the glow plugs individually. Next would be a compression check. Once you have got it going is it fine and does it start normally when hot?
    Regards Dave

Ps check the fuel filter.
    Last edited by waveydavey; 26 February 2005, 10:38. Reason: more to say
    How much!

Comment

reply to wavedave

I cannot figure this out - I has been starting fine for the past 4 days now today the starter bendix is not engaging properly, grinding first try. the glow plugs seem to be working becuase it is firing up nice. also the electronic relay occasionally makes pulsing noise when cold. there is no wierd smoking, everything is fine when the truck is warm. I will replace the electronic relay and see if that is the problem. I seem to be having 3 electronic problems that are intermitent but all happen around the same time - the relay is the only thing that connects them... I wish it would just quit so that I could atleast look for a problem, it is hard when it only occurs part of the time.
      Ren

Comment

Working...
      X