Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blowing fuses...

ahhhh!
    when i did the dash I also wired in the light to my booost gauge. I have tapped into the wired that the fog light uses (to sense the lights are on to use the fog i guess) which come from the blue connector that powers the suspension switch. The light in the gauge works fine but if i turn on the fog light it blows the tail light fuse.
    Is it cos i've used cable that is too thick for the gauge? Its all I had
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

The thicker the cable the better as it will carry more current and have less resistance. Sounds like it is a case of too much on the circuit. The tail lights only have a 10A fuse which will give you a total of 120watts.

I am not entirely sure what is on the circuit as well as the tail lights as this shouldn't overload it. It does run the clock lights which on the drawing I have is a green wire (Doesn't mean that it is though!)

This probably doesn't help

Edit: The way round it is to put a relay in and take another fused feed from the battery.

R.
    If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

too many amps being used for the circiut or fuse rating.

Comment

The feed to all the panel lights and the side lights is a plain green wire. This is supplied via a relay and a 10A fuse and there is probably a max of 40 or 50W of bulbs in the circuit as standard. The fog light shouldn't need a relay - if turning it on causes the fuse to blow then there may be a problem with the fog light - maybe a duff bulb. Did it work before you did the wiring?
        Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by Gamedawn
          The fog light shouldn't need a relay
          Just to be clear I meant a relay for the new gauge if adding it has increased the load on the circuit too much.

Also have you wired the gauge up right? I am thinking that you may have inadvertantly created a circuit that shorts out when you turn the fog light on.

R.
          If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Originally posted by rich
            Just to be clear I meant a relay for the new gauge if adding it has increased the load on the circuit too much.

Also have you wired the gauge up right? I am thinking that you may have inadvertantly created a circuit that shorts out when you turn the fog light on.

R.
            that might be right but i dont know why.
            yes roger the fog all worked before i wired the new dial in (one extra bulb)
            i am not going to fiddle around with relays etc i might just have to try a different light feed for the gauge.
            Tim
            Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Working...
            X