Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Sick Of My Rear Window Problems!!

AAaaargh!!!!!!!
    After having fixed the electrical problems with my rear window and wiper last week the b*#@dy thing has gone wrong again. This time the window motor works from both switches but only manages to operate the window with human help. Has anyone had the gear wheel of their motor wear out??? What sort of a job is it to get the whole mechanism out???
    Please help coz I'm getting really fed up with this.
    May all your ups and downs be in bed (or in a Surf)

Can you hear it slipping and grinding. Mine went on a real go-slow so I removed the rear trim and peeled the plastic covering away. A liberal blast of spray grease on all the moving bits, some spray silicon on the glass and rubber did the trick.

If it is worn out a search should turn up the thread where one of the guys found a motor and gear in a UK spec Toyota in a scrapyard.

Good Luck!
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by stevebutler
      AAaaargh!!!!!!!
      After having fixed the electrical problems with my rear window and wiper last week the b*#@dy thing has gone wrong again. This time the window motor works from both switches but only manages to operate the window with human help. Has anyone had the gear wheel of their motor wear out??? What sort of a job is it to get the whole mechanism out???
      Please help coz I'm getting really fed up with this.
      Try cleaning the runners inside the door, they get gummed up easy. if its just slow this usually cures it, along with making sure all the regulator is greased up.

If its acually skipping, and you have to pull it up, the teeth on the motor gear are usually worn out, this can be cured by putting washers under the motor mount so it runs on a fresh bit of the gear. Or the shaft in the motor could be worn, this lets the gear move and not mesh properly and skip.

I've rebushed a motor before, but unless you have a lathe its probably easier to get a new motor, any Toyota with electric windows for a similar year will fit, but you need the right side of the car, they have L or R stamped on them.

Pull the tailgate cover, and get in the back and get someone to operate the window, and see what is going on.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
        Try cleaning the runners inside the door, they get gummed up easy. if its just slow this usually cures it, along with making sure all the regulator is greased up.

If its acually skipping, and you have to pull it up, the teeth on the motor gear are usually worn out, this can be cured by putting washers under the motor mount so it runs on a fresh bit of the gear. Or the shaft in the motor could be worn, this lets the gear move and not mesh properly and skip.

I've rebushed a motor before, but unless you have a lathe its probably easier to get a new motor, any Toyota with electric windows for a similar year will fit, but you need the right side of the car, they have L or R stamped on them.

Pull the tailgate cover, and get in the back and get someone to operate the window, and see what is going on.

Thanks Tony,
        I have already got the tailgate apart and the motor is working away fine but really struggles to move the window at all. I have to either pull or push the window to get it to move to help the motor (I have clicked the catches on either side of the tailgate so the window thinks the tailgate is closed). I just can't see how to get at the underside of the motor to see what's going on. I can't feel any gears or cogs at all under the motor so I need to remove the whole mechanism, I think??

Comment

i had the exact same problems a few weks ago, even though i had previously greased the mechanism, there was on particular part of the mechanism i didn't see though, and this caused the window to practically seize, with the glass partly closed, there is a runner at the very bottom of the door, it has two wheel type sliders but these were stuck fast, there was a lot of corrosion in the bottom runner too, a liberal coating of gease has done the trick though, i also re-greased everthing else and spray silicon in the rubber glass guides, the window is now faster than ever.
          [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Hi Steve
            the whole mechanism unbolots really easily and comes out as one unit, (easier with the glass up and supported, with the tailgate open) theres no nasty springs to go twang! that way you can see whats happening and properly grease both sides of the runner assemblies. If its still slow check for anymore breaks in wires especially earths, and consider that the motor might just be wornout! not uncommon!
            THE ORIGINAL CRAZY BITCH!

Comment

I found a Daihatsu Fourtrac rear window motor was a direct replacememt, but make sure it's the same make and has the same screw holes and number of teeth. The majority of the motors used are Denso, but I have known other types to be fitted.
              You can take my 4x4 from me when you prize the keys from my cold, dead hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Micky B
                I found a Daihatsu Fourtrac rear window motor was a direct replacememt, but make sure it's the same make and has the same screw holes and number of teeth. The majority of the motors used are Denso, but I have known other types to be fitted.
                Cool, good find, along this Corrola and other toyota car electric window motors this is a good way of getting them.

There is a generic geared motor in th RS Components catalogue that also looks the same, but at £50 I haven't risked ordering one to see if its the same. But thats half the Toyota price

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

i had a similar problem on my old 2.4 after i sold it the guy that bought asked for help took out the control box in the rear quarter and inside are 6 relays if i remeber right the top two are window next two are wiper never did work out what bottom two are for but , the top 4 are exactly the same relay so got a spare box and took relays from other box and placed them in worked perfectly , after dismembering the old relay it was badly burnt in the contacts for those of you that have access to the "RS" catalogue there is an "omron" relay that has the same pin layout and size etc. i am at present working in an electronics workshop and still have the dismembered box so will post some picks and also the relay number so those that can might be able to change them.

hope this helps
                  [img]http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/tiere/animal-smiley-022.gif[/img][img]http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/tiere/animal-smiley-022.gif[/img][img]http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/auto/car-smiley-006.gif[/img] [b][color=red]Anyone for [u]fluffy[/u] wheeltrims[/color][/b]

Comment

It's all fixed now. I took it all apart and found that the motor was whirring but the gear hardly turning and the gear was very worn. Luckily there is a Japanese car scrap yard a few miles away and I took the motor to him. We matched the motor up with a window motor from a Toyota Starlet AND he had a Surf with a front end smash so I bought the rear bumper too (mine's rusty). I had to elongate 2 of the mounting holes on the mounting bracket to fit the motor but other that that there were no issues. The most difficult thing was to get the 2 arms that lift the window to lift parallel. It would have probably been a good idea to mark where they meshed before I took them apart.
                    Anyway, all sorted now. Thanks to all that helped.

Comment

Working...
                    X