japanese satnav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• japanese satnav

Hi folks just bought a 3.0 hilu surf with jap sat nav (Toyotas own) does any body knownhow to convert it to english? is just a software upgrade ie english version disc, or does it involve major buchering of the unit? any info links etc would be much appreciated.

Other people have stated it wont work. Just bin it im afraid.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

sat nav

hello mate i have the same thing in mine does the cd player work ? if not theres not alot that can be done if it does kenwood do a mod that fits it with uot having to replace the stereo. its very good takes abit of time to get used to but does the job.bit on the dear side at £1300 but it depends on how much you get lost lol
      I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

Jap Sat Nav bebacle

Bit late now, but I've faced this twice and the only thing to do is bin it and fit a UK system. Just ripped out all mine in my SSrg and fitted a UK radio and CD player. And if you want sat nav buy one of the new Navman ICN 510s brilliant and portable with a screen mount. Will set you back £400 but you can use it anywhere and its good.

Comment

sat nav

Hi cant think were l seen it but there is supose to be a small hardrive unit or a chip that has to be reprogramed, not being very good with computers l dont know how it is done, but like the saying "but l know a man who does" if you end up bining it l would like one to play around with, or should l say the man who knows to play around with of course l would pay the postage. there is also another saying "nothing ventured nothing gained".
          Last edited by Hilux; 3 February 2005, 22:14. Reason: edit
          Live Life To The Full

Comment

Sat Nav

Hi Bob Hilux

I heard this and spoke to a couple of guys about 2/3 years ago when I had an imported RX 300. There was someone near Bristol I recall and he said he MIGHT be able to do it but the cost was over £750. I seem to think he could have got the TV working (or swapped) as well. But the cost stopped me. This time I got the dealer who sold me the Surf to change it and bin the unit and in the skip it went about 3 weeks ago. Sorry didn't think it could have been any good.

But its a important point. If someone is binning theirs it would be sensible to pass it on to someone with the expertise who might be able to come up with a solution and help members in the future. Dealers you are scrapping them all the time, how about giving 1 up for reasearch and development!!

Comment

i cant help thinking that as gps stands for GLOBAL postioning system, it should work, globally... the mapping data is localized and thee may be issues with nstc/pal if its a dvd as well but surely its just a matter of finding the uk disc with the mapping on it?
              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

S/w

My Brother's Surf came with the Pacific disks in the glovebox for his Panasonic GPS - I couldn't find any suitable UK disks for the model so I plugged in a portable DVD which is now hidden in the glovebox.
                Works well apart from the player won't convert an NTSC signal to PAL on the output. Still......the unit was only £30! and he's now got a telly he can use.

Rob.

Comment

GPS Conversion

Hi folks just bought a 3.0 hilu surf with jap sat nav (Toyotas own) does any body knownhow to convert it to english? is just a software upgrade ie english version disc, or does it involve major buchering of the unit? any info links etc would be much appreciated.
                  New to this forum, first post. My mate just bought a 3.0 SSRG Hilux import & the Sat Nav is in Japanese. Times pasted on a bit since the quoted post above was posted, just wondering whether a way around this has being found.

Cheers,
                  BasilBrush.

Comment

Originally posted by Basilbrush
                    New to this forum, first post. My mate just bought a 3.0 SSRG Hilux import & the Sat Nav is in Japanese. Times pasted on a bit since the quoted post above was posted, just wondering whether a way around this has being found.

Cheers,
                    BasilBrush.
                    Sorry, still not generally considered feasible.
                    Maurice
                    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
                      Sorry, still not generally considered feasible.

Thanks Morr, I think he's going to buy a TomTom now, just like I told him

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                        Other people have stated it wont work. Just bin it im afraid.

Flog it on ebay , I just got £133 for my old set up, and I put a big disclaimer on it too.

Money's just paid towards my new snowboard

Andy.

Comment

Working...
                        X