yet another headlamp question!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yet another headlamp question!!

I've noticed that when i put my high beam on (either using the push or pull methods) the lamps light high up, but very little light actually spills onto the road...the result being when driving along dark country roads i can light up the trees and distant objects but anything close up is not that easy to see.

My other car (renault laguna) seems different - i'm sure that when i use full beam on that car, the bulb keeps the lowbeam element lit and lights the high beam element as well. Hence really good illumination in front of the car.

I am assuming that the Surf is switching between the high and low elements...is this correct?
    and can it be set up so that both elements can be lit together?

ta in advance
    adam

"silly keeps you sane"

If properly adjusted, full beam h/lights should provide all the illumination you need. If you run both elements you will more than likely cause damage to one or both through overheating. Also, both elements on will consume around 20 amps and thats before you get your big Hellas fired up on the A-bar.

Most liklely is that your prode and joy is suffering from the dreaded but all too common saggy ar*e syndrome caused by tired rear springs and the headlights have never been adjusted to compensate.

You can get reasonably priced new springs from www.milneroffroad.com (20% stiffer too which some like) or there are plenty of more exotic suppliers. Search herein for threads.

In the meantime, let us know if you make First Contact with those skyward- pointing beams.

Cheers

Kev
    Last edited by exmee46; 2 December 2004, 22:46.

Comment

im pretty sure on most cars that you only get both lots together if you flash your lights (pull back or whatever you call it), other wise just the high element is used.
      was like that on my other car. what about the spots on the front? if no one else is in front I'd use them.
      Tim
      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

My last car had separate bulbs (H3 I think) for main and dipped. When using main beam, the dipped stayed on - had great lights on that car. Surf has H4 bulbs that are twin filament - one for main and one for dipped. Cars with these bulbs don't normally use both filaments at the same time, probably because of the heat and wiring limitations.
        I think.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that, if you lift the bonnet and look behind the headlamp housings, there are knurled nobs that you can adjust. I always find that the best way to adjust them is to find a quiet lane. On a misty night you can see the beam pattern and get them just about spot on. Watch out for approaching cars and be ready to dip the lights so as not to blind them.
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

on the 2gen, (dunno if 3rd gen is the same) there are two philips/hex adjuster screws/bolts per lamp situated above each lamp, a long one & a short one, the short one is for up down adjustment, dont adjust more than three full turns at a time though (three turns is approx 10-15mm at 1m distance). The simplest way to adjust is to park in the dark with your lights shining against a surface say 1m away (a light coloured surface is easier), mark the upper edge of the light beam with a marker or tape etc, adjust down equally on each light, and give it a try on a nice dark road and re-adjust until satisfied.
            [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

don't think mines got a saggy arse....the back end looks slighter higher than the front.

I have a feeling its doing what its supposed to - makes sense not having both filaments glowing together. I'm not really keen on re-adjusting the lamps, as the low beam is fine and i would probably loose that when lowering the lamps for the high beam.

I would use the spots if they were easier to actually get to - the previous owner had the buttons put in the most awkward place for me.....i need to get it re-wired so they work with full beam rather than being a totally separate push button system thats hidden under the steering wheel.

thanks for all the answers
              adam

"silly keeps you sane"

Comment

Working...
              X