Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare tyre underneath a 1996 V6 4 Hilux Surf

Hi.

I have a 3rd gen Hilux Surf with a spare type on the back. However, I'd like to put another one underneath the vehicle. There is space but no chain lift device neither is there a hole to slide a rod at the back to hook upto one (even if one had been fitted). Has anyone encountered the same problem? Any suggestions?

Originally posted by Jolooj
    Hi.

I have a 3rd gen Hilux Surf with a spare type on the back. However, I'd like to put another one underneath the vehicle. There is space but no chain lift device neither is there a hole to slide a rod at the back to hook upto one (even if one had been fitted). Has anyone encountered the same problem? Any suggestions?
    I removed my rear spare, you can get the chain/cable device from Toyota or second hand (try HILUX on here, drop him a PM). For the hole you may have a problem although if you get the chain/ cable for a UK 4Runner then the bit that you wind is actually on the end of a bar on the passenger side near the exhaust. YOu can get at this from under the bumper rather than needing to put it through the hole in the bumper. Alternatively you will need a new bumper center section with the correct hole for your chain device. If it is the early type the hole and bracket behind goes straight, if it is the later type then it goes off at an angle to point towards the nearside of the car.

Either way, the holes to mount the winch and also the wheel guides (two long bent pieces of flat metal that hold the wheel straight when raised) are already in the chassis, it will take you less than 1/2 hour to fit once you have all the bits.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
    X