Advice on 3lt V6 Petrol Misfire Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on 3lt V6 Petrol Misfire Please

I have been put in touch with someone who has a 3lt V6 petrol surf auto for sale.
    The only problem with the surf so he has told me is that -

" It has a small mis-fire when the engine is cold "

Now I am thinking it is likely to be either a plug breaking down, a dodgy HT cable or at worst a electrical fault.
    Has anyone got any ideas I know it is all a bit misty but any input welcome.
    The car is other wise in good nick has covered around 120,000 km
    The price is right if it won`t cost a bomb to fix.
    What is the worst situation and cost ?
    Sorry for all the questions but it is a 3hr drive to go and look at it :-(
    It was taken in as a part Ex and the guy wants to move it on.
    Would be great if i could get some answers in the next day or so I may then go and look at it Monday.

Any advice welcome.
    Cheers
    Conker
    Last edited by Conker; 28 November 2003, 19:45.
    [center] [/center]

Hi, just a thought, I had a similar problem on a Volvo once. It turned out to be the inlet manifold gasket, to check it, spay some WD40 where the manifold meets the head, if the engine increases it's idle speed, then that's the problem if not, I'd get a lol!! sorry
    [SIZE=3][FONT=verdana][COLOR=darkorange]The chickens are stealing my sanity[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

rusty has a petrol 4runner drop him a pm or email
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by Healewis
        I had a similar problem on a Volvo once. It turned out to be the inlet manifold gasket
        ditto with me old VW passat, same thing missing a beat, turned out to be knackered rubber gasket between injection unit and inlet manifold.

Comment

Could be anything, electical usually stay all the time, cars that are pig when cold then OK when warm up are usually in need a of a service, or have lots of worn parts. If its not smokey or rattlely could just need a good sevice.

lots of engine management stuff on these motors, see if the engine check light is on.

Intake leaks sometimes seal up as metal expands as the motor warms up.

Give it a good work out, get it at about 30mpg in top gear and squeese the pedal to the carpet, it should pull smoothly through the revs, not jump around (avoid the kickdown point in an Auto, you can put it in Drive, stand on the brakes and load the motor with the throttle for a simular test.)

Our V6 gets jumpy on light throttle positions (get to a steady speed, and just lightly hold the throttle) when it needs a service.

Check for water in the exhaust, early V6's came from the factory with a crap batch of head gaskets, but most fail at about 50,000miles so it should have been done or OK.

It should be noticably smoother and quicker than a 2.4 surf, at this milage an original Catalitic Convertor may be on its last legs, could also be your problem.

If it all looks and feels tight, I'd take a chance, then give it a full service, check all the vacuum hose are sound, injector/intake clean with Redex and see what happens.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

It is on a K plate
            Just a pain that it so far away to look at the thought of 2 1/2 hr each way and dragging a m8 with me to drive it is a bit off putting.
            Think i may pay for a inspection on it, for the sake of 99 quid
            [center] [/center]

Comment

Working...
            X