yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sylex - A Long Long Journey to V8 Awesomeness!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you still cracking on with this buddy?

Comment

• I am, mate Just going through the chassis clean for paint...but it's on a bit of a break at the moment

Comment

• Thats awesome, I am embarking on this mission soon....good to know there a few of us around still ;-)

stay in touch

Comment

• Haven't updated this thread in a while (and can't really update title)...but the show is still going. Just slowly and when I get bursts of energy and time.

I've completely restored the under-belly of the car, back to better than new.

Repaired both doglegs back to new, degreased the whole under-belly, scraped sanded and cursed the surface rust off, treated, re-seam-sealed, shultzed, then 2k coated to a satin black.

I'll upload better pics soon but here's a quick one of the whole lot

Pic doesn't really do it justice, but you get the idea
          Last edited by Sylux; 2 March 2017, 01:43.

Comment

• I was only wondering the other day how you were getting on.
            Looking good, glad your still at it.

Comment

• Yeh, it's turned into a restoration job. But, I obviously know myself as the "long long" has been the title of this thread since the beginning

Comment

• Your a perfectionist Sy, nothing else was ever going to happen

Comment

• That's a nice way of putting it. Idiot is another

Comment

• Noooo, ambitious or coragious 😁

Comment

• Comment

• Just been reading through your post from the start and I have to take my hat off to you, real dedication and an excellent reference thread for anyone wanting to do this conversion, it's something I would have loved to do but at near 71 I'm afraid it would be way beyond me now, add to that the lack of a good size garage (like your original one, not enough room in it to work in comfort) and lack of money (and brains)
                        I have painted my surf underneath and engine several years back but I'd have liked to strip the chassis and have it galvanised (my son recently got a new chassis and had it galvanised for his 109 defender)
                        I did do a complete strip-down many years ago on a 1968 Buick Rivera and swore I'd never do it again "till I got the Surf" the Buick got the full clean up and paint, then the 430in V8 dropped some piston rings and I sold it,
                        keep up the good work with plenty of pics, just a pity Vince does not post on here now, he did pop in and say hello on Matt's website and is still busy I hear, don't know the whole story and only read the guys thread who has issues with him and they is always two sides to a story, he has helped many out (me included) over the years and I took him for a really nice guy,
                        Good luck with the conversion, Ian

Hope you don't mind me sticking some pic on here but thought you might like to see them, there's my Surf, the Riv, my first car the Vauxhall Velox (many added Cresta refinement added from scrappers) a PC Cresta I chopped the roof on, an old ford Anglia and a Ford Granada Estate I have had quite a few more, Ford consul, mini (2) , ford Cortina mk2 plus vans, etc, first serious wheels tho were a Triumph Tiger 110 (termed a café racer nowadays) that was a trade up from a 250cc BSA C11g I passed my test on,
                        If only I had all the money I've wasted over they years eh!
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by POPEYE; 12 January 2017, 19:54.
                        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

• Thanks, man

I remember reading some of your Surf stuff when I first came here. That chassis pic reminded me straight away Plus I'm jealous of the bottom of your doors

And yeh...a small garage is no good. Just a shame I'm paying a fortune in rent and not working fast/hard enough. It's become my oasis (my unit) and I need to give myself a slap and see it for what it is...too much money that could be spent elsewhere. But I've got the place so perfect, I love it

Comment

• And yeh, Vince needs to return But he's on FB these days

Comment

• Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                              Just been reading through your post from the start and I have to take my hat off to you, real dedication and an excellent reference thread for anyone wanting to do this conversion, just a pity Vince does not post on here now, he did pop in and say hello on Matt's website and is still busy I hear, don't know the whole story and only read the guys thread who has issues with him and they is always two sides to a story, he has helped many out (me included) over the years and I took him for a really nice guy,
                              Good luck with the conversion, Ian
                              i agree with that, Ian
                              the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sylux View Post
                                And yeh, Vince needs to return
                                same with you, i agree.
                                the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Working...
                                X