yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sylex - A Long Long Journey to V8 Awesomeness!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sylux View Post
    92 (K) Finally Out!

Seconded one out today Pics to follow (probably tomorrow).

Vince, a couple of questions.

1: One of the engine mount bolts just spun in its rubber. Presumably just perished inside. So when removing it's come away from the rubber and is useless now. Can these be replaced? Or am I replacing them anyways?
    I don't use the Lexus mounts.
    I use the alloy part that bolts to the block as a template to make a plate, bolt it to the block, then make adapters to mate to the Surf's mounts. So in future if a new mount is required, just buy a Surf one.

2: The little catch on one of the throttle cables (where it fits into the TB)...do I keep these or sling them?
    Do you mean that little spring clip that secures the nipple on the end of the cable?
    It's not really needed TBH.

Garage is packed now!

Comment

• Cheers Vince. Cars are being taken away next Sunday so I'm just making sure I don't forget anything.

Loud and clear on the mounts

And yeh, it's the clip that has a bit of plastic, then a spring clip over the top to secure the cable in the TB.

And hello, DMA

Comment

• 92 on the stand

A quick wipe reveals the possibilities of a lot of future elbow grease!

Now I need to tidy up the garage to get super organised for the overhauling

Comment

• To save experimenting...does anyone remember the rough centre of gravity spot for the engine on a mount? What I mean is the best pivot point for balance.

I set them to the crankshaft which is obviously way off. I'll start at the starter motor and see how balanced it is there.

Many thanks

Comment

• Garage cleaned, proper workbench on the way, and the twins in place.

Shit photo quality but thought I'd bore you all with a tiny tiny bit of progression

Comment

• looking tidy Sy....

what comes next?

Comment

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nah, I'm going to strip off parts and take it from there. Start the cleaning. Although the plastics won't/shouldn't be UV damaged...they didn't really clean well in hot water and soap! I'll get some TFR like the boss suggested

Got a cracking workbench frame on its way (only £30) and various other things to help keep me organised. Will top out the workbench and I'm good to crack on.

Comment

• Vince, at what point did you use the TFR technique you mentioned?

Did you do it from the beginning or strip as much off as possible, first?

Comment

• Started to crack on and remove the loom. In my ignorance I thought I could do that without removing much!

Comment

Vince, at what point did you use the TFR technique you mentioned?
                      As soon as I hoofed it out of the Lexus.
                      Left it dangling on the hoist, TFR'd and pressure washed it, then left it dangling for a while longer to drip dry.

Comment

• Ah, bit late for me, then Needs it, too :/

Comment

Ah, bit late for me, then Needs it, too :/
                          The engines are on stands aren't they?

Just wheel them outside and get blasting. (leave the spark plugs in though)

Comment

• Yeh, will do

I snipped the HT leads so I could keep the plugs in as long as possible. Keep crap out of the thing.

I see I have to remove a manifold to get the wiring out, too. Gonna be fun putting this jigsaw back together.

I'll need to send you the looms as well. What is it you do with them? Wire the ECU end so it'll work with the right parts of the Surf? Presumably most of the engine side will stay as is? I'll need to delete the tranny parts as I'm manual.

Comment

Yeh, will do

I snipped the HT leads so I could keep the plugs in as long as possible. Keep crap out of the thing.

I see I have to remove a manifold to get the wiring out, too. Gonna be fun putting this jigsaw back together.

Get yourself a large box and put everything you remove from the engine in there. Keep all nuts and bolts in a separate container within the large box, then it comes to re-assembly everything will be in that box.

I'll need to send you the looms as well. What is it you do with them? Wire the ECU end so it'll work with the right parts of the Surf? Presumably most of the engine side will stay as is? I'll need to delete the tranny parts as I'm manual.

The loom can be disconnected into sections. The knock sensors and starter wiring is one section, the alternator wiring is another and the crank/ cams, coils and distributors down the front of the engine is another.

All I need is the rest of the loom with the (All four) ECU plugs on the end.
                              I'll delete the auto 'box wiring myself as it includes a couple of wires needed to 'trick' the ECU that there's still a transmission attached.

I don't integrate the Surf's wiring (except the reverse lights, speedo and tacho) with the V8 at all to keep things simple. The lights, wipers etc all work as before using their original fuses/relays.
                              I add relays and fuses to the loom to keep it a separate item. I also add an engine check light on the end of a length of wire for you to fit into a suitable position on the dash.

Comment

• Already got the super organisation in full flow. I'm OCD so it suits me. I'll need to replace some of the bolts if they don't clean up. But everything is set out so I don't forget.

I have a manual and another 1UZ-FE in case I do

Loom: Sounds excellent I believe the 92's ECU will need no tricks (although I'd prefer you to do your thing).

Are you still after a GB? Both of mine are sans-bellhousing though.

Comment

Working...
                                X