No announcement yet.

Say hello to my little friend!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So here you can see how close the cam bung is from the handbrake pulley, it's about 3-4mm so I may have to pull it forward slightly. Looking at the pic it may b even closer than that.
    Attached Files
    ALL THE GEAR!............no idea!

Comment

• Have plenty of clearance on the left side and the bulkhead.
      Attached Files

Comment

• So this is where I had the t/c, it was too high here as when I bolted the prop shaft up it was against the sub frame.
        Attached Files

Comment

• So once I dropped it down approx 10mm the shaft now has more clearance which will increase when I drop the engine down onto the mounts I hope.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Here u can c the position of the zorst flanges, they look pretty similar position.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Here's the left side
              Attached Files

Comment

• Here u can c the handbrake lever fouling the transfer case untill I lowered it, now it just about clears.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Just a pic of how the engine is resting at the mo.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Another from the side, the surf is sloping back already due to the lack of weight in the front, I may jack up the back a bit to level it out to make lining up a bit easier.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Doing a good job with this mate, gonna have it
                      running in no time.
                      It looks from the pics that its sitting about 10mm to high.
                      I've seen about 6 or 7 of these conversions since Vince did mine and the
                      sump has about 10mm clearance on the steering rod, max. A bit further forward too, helps with the handbrake mechanism and oil filter clearance.
                      I was looking at one just a few weeks back with the manifolds as close
                      as yours to the steering shaft and the torque twist when pulling away
                      meant the manifolds fouled the shaft and caused a knocking sensation
                      through the steering, leaves a shiny mark on the shaft were they touch.
                      Lower and a bit further forward will help with the prop too, it looks too close
                      now, hit a speed bump or add weight to the truck and it will touch the
                      crossmember.
                      I know all these conversions are different and no two are the same but
                      these are just some things I've picked up on, worth keeping a mind to them.
                      Still on a mission.

Comment

• Good work. Won't remote oil filter help with a couple of issues-clearance and ease of changing it?

Comment

• Yeah it is way too close to the shaft and too far back, gonna have another play around tmrw. That was one of my fears, having vibrations through the steering, I'm a long way off engine mount fab yet though.
                          I did consider the oil filter relocation kit but vince pointed me in the soarer oil filter mount direction. I can get the filter on and off ok at the moment but once I move it about tmrw I will have a better idea.
                          Been a long day today, took 4 hours to get the engine and boxes to that position, and now I'm off out to work!
                          Gives me most of the day tmrw though I spouse.
                          Cheers for the comments all help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Comment

• You're really cracking on

Thanks for posting all the pics, they'll certainly help when I make a start on mine!

Dan
                            https://galooph.com

Comment

• No probs mate happy to help and hopefully give sonething back to a brilliant forum :-)

Comment

• Update

Hi all, got another 6-7 hours on it today. I dropped it another couple of mm, and pulled it forward slightly, I'm still pretty close to the headers but this is unavoidable as I'm so close to the torsion bar on the other side. I'm already worried about the heat transfer from the flanges to the torsion bar. I have approx 10mm clearance from the cam bung to the h/brake wheel. The t/box sits about 18mm forward of its mount and about 35mm higher, but I can't get it back any further. I have better clearance around the prop now too by dropping the boxes down as I had them way too high. I have massaged the header near the steering column to allow for a bit more clearance (trusty hammer).
                                I swapped the high pressure pipe on the pump around so it faces the opposite way and back to front to allow the new hose to loop around and over the reservoir, I also turned the reservoir return pipe on the steering pump on the truck around so its in a better position for a new hose, I may still install a cooler pipe across the front the same as was on the lexus that I sold, damn it!
                                Once I was happy with the position I tacked up the mounts, I may add a washer or two to the back of the mount plate where it bolts to the engine if the mounts compress with the weight of the engine but we will see.
                                That's about as far as I got today more tomorrow.
                                Pic shows the o/s I think .
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X