Planning out my 1uzFE swap-in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning out my 1uzFE swap-in

Just sitting down tonight and starting to put together what I think I need to do with my swap-out project.

I am really not sure if I am any better off with a 3rd GEN VZN185 (3.4V6 Petrol) than with any other Hilux to swap the 1UZFE into.

The bits I have are as follows:
    • Hilux with A340F transmission and 5VZ-FE engine
    • Lexus LS400 with non-vvti 1UZ-FE and a A342E transmission
    My understanding so far is that... well... I am starting to get lost at the moment! Originally I was under the impression that I could use the A340F and it would connect up to the 1UZ-FE but be difficult to make work with the engine ECU (as it is a pig to do) - so it would be easier to do a 4wd conversion to the A342E transmission which requires swapping out the output shaft?

I'll keep reading but I know I would require a 2 in body lift and some custom engine mounts made up if nothing else.

Any advice would be really appreciated - I know I've asked directly to bushwhacker and karma supra (much appreciated) but I think I ended up a little more confused than I started off...
    ======
    Just gotta finish doing the next mod...

Use the Lexus gearbox and stick your transfer box on the back.

You can either grind off the existing output shaft, of if you want to be super fussy, transplant your Hilux output shaft into the Lexus box.

Output shaft aside the transfer box will bolt on, but you will need to drill and tap an extra hole at the bottom. (some people don't bother, again, it depends how OCD you are).

With a Non VVTi you might find that the factory manifolds fit between the suspension top mounts with no modification. the VVTi heads a bit wider and make this an utter ball ache. (you've seen my thread).

If you can make a 25mm spacer and lift the transfer box mount up by that amount, the props and gearbox will all still align, but looking today, the radiator fan is tight...

If you are using the Lexus box, you'll need to swap over the Hilux gear selector bar, -which means pulling the valve gear in the box and replacing various seals (its on the wrong side for us).

you have made it much, much, much easier by not going VVTi
    More Lift.
    More Tyres.
    More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post

If you are using the Lexus box, you'll need to swap over the Hilux gear selector bar, -which means pulling the valve gear in the box and replacing various seals (its on the wrong side for us).

Don't know why you did it that way, it would be much easier to modify the shift lever mechanism so that the arm drops down on the other side of the gearbox. It's just a case of unbolting the pivot shaft and reversing it.

Anyhoo Andy, best advice I can give is to always think two or even three steps ahead of any part of the conversion you're working on at the time.

Fit the V8 (with manifolds on) and transmission/T/case, place lumps of wood under it to get all the clearances and alignments correct, connect both props and then measure and fabricate the mounts.

Comment

thanks for the detailed replies guys.

What is the issue with the A340F with a UZ bellhousing attached and the A342E input shaft and lexus torque converter....(changing basically just the bellhousing and input shafts on the stock Hilux kit)

Tbh I am still trawling through this thread:

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=9434.90

to try and understand what I might run into with either method so it might be answered in a few pages time on there...

Also, with the lexus transmission method would I still have 4wd (assumption is yes as it is the transfer case that provides this functionality)

**EDIT*** got to the end of that article and it's incomplete! Buggeration LMAO
        Last edited by andy_enuff; 19 May 2013, 16:00.
        ======

Comment

Stop reading American threads regarding these swaps, they talk and talk about it instead of just pulling the old engine out and dropping the V8 in!
          It's relatively easy to fit a Lexus V8 into a Surf/4Runner providing you're methodical and think a couple of steps ahead. Getting it to run properly is the difficult part.(But thats what PMs are for )

The only way to find out what fits where and how is to actually do the job yourself. The more you read about it, the more confused and reluctant you'll get.

I've included everything you need to know in my various conversion threads.

I'm now sending you a virtual slap for not reading the Lexus transmission/Surf transfercase mating thoroughly.

Comment

*reeling* .... and recovered. Slap graciously taken to the face. Ur such a b1tch :P

Am reading lots atm, need to get this 5vzfe running again so I can weed out the mechanicals with the surf before I crack on converting - I didn't get to drive it for long enough to find out what else was wrong - I didn't want to assume "not much" as I know what that does... Assumtption is the mother and all that..

Then I'll be straight into the lexus to get the engine/ecu etc out and do a bushwhacker style rebuild and prettify (likely not even half as good...) - that will take long enough so having the V6 available to drive about in and do the mods on will help - can crack on with tyre upgrades, collecting other parts for after the swap etc - then once the engine is out of the lexus I will have room in the garage that the wh9le lexus is currently occupying to put all the trans parts etc from the hilux....

Bit long winded, but I'm limited on space and on what 'non-running' vehicles I can keep on the piece of hardstanding by my house...
            ======

Comment

Originally posted by andy_enuff View Post

What is the issue with the A340F with a UZ bellhousing attached and the A342E input shaft and lexus torque converter....(changing basically just the bellhousing and input shafts on the stock Hilux kit)
              That's how I did it. It requires no fabrication or cutting or modifying (apart from the transmission dipstick which you could just bend)

The main advantage of using the Lexus box (assuming pre VVTi, as everyone does) is that it just plugs into the Lexus ECU and "just works", along with uprated (more) clutch packs (visible when you swap the input shafts/oil pumps over).

Looking at the shifter last night, you definitely could modify it, but it would require cutting and welding, not a massive job if you are making mounts etc I guess, the other option just required swapping the shifter "bar" over. Your choice.. it didn't affect me as I am using the Hilux box as above with a Suprastick to control it, so everything just bolts up as it did from the factory.
              More Lift.
              More Tyres.
              More Engine.

Comment

Working...
              X