Supercharged?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supercharged?

Has anyone here done / considered a supercharged lexsurf?

Would the gearbox drive train cope with the extra power. More importantly will the truck stay tractable, or being light will it spin rears every time you bury the throttle?

The people with a Lexsurf would love their feelings about how theirs drives in dry and wet, and what if any mods they have done to suspension to keep it on the the road.

My current KZN185 is a handful in the wet if not careful with the throttle.

My 2.4 is dead and looking at the transplant route now. A new head and all bits to finish price in at a min of £720. I can pick a Lexus up for around £500 strip all bits I need and sell scrap rest.

Sell bits off mine that are serviceable. Hopefully be an interesting project.

Need to see if a supercharger is available in UK and at what prices.

Andy.

If £720 is a pinch you can forget a supercharger, (3k to 5k)
    Brian

Comment

Funds are not an issue. Just looking at the options I have with a broken truck, summer nights and what can appear at the end.

Still want to do the V8 mod, was just a question to promote some thinking in the forum. More importantly how does a standard V8 perform in the standard truck and suspension.

Comment

The "still bits to cover the cost" doesn't work....

Then again I get carried away!

Replace a load of seals, Cambelt, water pump etc with genuine parts, a few shiny bits and fittings, and in my case a stainless exhaust and a transmission ecu, and it soon mounts up!

It'd be good to see another UK V8 third Gen though!
        More Lift.
        More Tyres.
        More Engine.

Comment

It would, but the dead one is a 2nd gen. If it worked well could then do my 3rd gen. The multi mode 4wd would be a blessing with the power.
          Unless a 3rd gen multi mode transfer box fits the lexus auto box in a 2nd gen.

Confused....you could be.

Comment

Supercharging a what??

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              Supercharging a what??
              Nothing probably.
              Brian

Comment

Same reason for doing it.

To have my 1kz engine rebuilt thats still running not to badly would cost £1400 +vat. Forget that if i can V8 the Surf for about the same or less why not, its just getin hold of the right donor Lexus for the right price thats a pain, a lot of the other stuff involved is free hands on work. Cant wait!

Comment

I doubt you can V8 a surf for that, not if you are doing it properly.

I have done other stuff, but mine is weighing in at over £4k so far.... - That doesn't include the engine!

Of course, with all these V8 conversions there might be some decent low miles 1KZs knocking about...
                  More Lift.
                  More Tyres.
                  More Engine.

Comment

Supercharging a what??
                    The lexus 4 litre lump....

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
                      I doubt you can V8 a surf for that, not if you are doing it properly.

I have done other stuff, but mine is weighing in at over £4k so far.... - That doesn't include the engine!
                      Try convincing the pickup owners that, they just think you're trying to rip them off!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkie67 View Post
                        The lexus 4 litre lump....
                        Oh right, so you mean a Lexurf?

http://www.bulletcars.com/supercharg...er-system.html

Comment

Indeed. It was a struggle to resist the temptation to mention the mispelling of Lexurf and the fact that the names already taken(like the TM vince).
                          Maybe as this chap is planning on doing his own conversion, a different name could be thought up. There's a novelty.

Comment

Try convincing the pickup owners that, they just think you're trying to rip them off!
                            I guess we all have our own standards Vince!

Life must be so easy when you consider anything that works as a good job...

Me, I'd not be able to rest at ease knowing that I "could have" rebuilt the starter, replaced all the seals, cambelt, checked clearances, replaced water pump, all genuine parts etc etc etc and didn't bother...

Damn OCD will bankrupt me yet!
                            More Lift.
                            More Tyres.
                            More Engine.

Comment

Working...
                            X