LS400 cam belt/waterpump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LS400 cam belt/waterpump

the belt gave way on Lexurf III's LS engine the other week , i had been pushing it a bit, but it turned out the problem was caused by the waterpump or tensioner bearing packing up and seizing, when we stripped the front out of the block there were steel ballbearings melted to parts of belt....
    I followed vince's advice to order a waterpump kit from USA cost £265 (thats inc the tax), same parts from UK lexus direct were £462. Add to that the fact i ordered the parts on Tuesday and they arrived Friday morning the same week, I call that top service. Pump and belt are back on and she's running ok. It wasn't that hard a job, just remembering where everything goes back on was the hard part..
    Attached Files
    No king of England is not king of France

there is a fair pile of bits on the garage floor before you can even see the belt - big bucket of nuts and bolts too

good to hear it was an easy fix - wunnerful having an engine that doesnt bend valves when the belt goes.

Comment

Bl00dy hell..close one.

I got my bits from the local factor, pump was about £75 & belt kit £115 IIRC

Comment

yea I remember one going on a XR3i and the head was knack'd. I couldn't even shift the LS's old waterpump pully with a pipe wrench, it was so seized. What is anoying though is when i fitted the plastic covers for the cam pullys/distributors cos i used thick magniflex plug ht replacement leads that tab on one of the pullys has cut through a bit of one of the leads, theres no room under there. It still runs ok though and passed its MOT today even with those pipes..
        Heres the link Vince gave me for the waterpump/cambelt kit. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,5759
        Last edited by 3 LIONS; 5 July 2011, 22:57.

Comment

Well done Simon, and congrats on the second MOT since the conversion.

Imagine doing that job when the engine is in the Lexus, no wonder the Lexus dealer charges £700+!

Comment

Vince, heres one you can prob answer, when the guy put the truck on the rollin road to test the back brakes individualy will this mess up the limited slip diff, also I noticed the drivers side output shaft on the front diff ( i think it has about 6 bolts on it) seems loose, can it be tightened up, in other words is there a nut and lock washer if i take the driveshaft off.
            I aint explained that too well...
            Forgot to tell all that MOT tester told me cos my T.BELT light is on on the dash that next year any of those service lights on and it's an imediate fail due to new govm't guidelines, he also said there will be a hell of a lot of motors getting scrapped due to this...can i turn my T.BELT light off somehow?
            Last edited by 3 LIONS; 6 July 2011, 06:38.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 LIONS View Post
              Vince, heres one you can prob answer, when the guy put the truck on the rollin road to test the back brakes individualy will this mess up the limited slip diff, also I noticed the drivers side output shaft on the front diff ( i think it has about 6 bolts on it) seems loose, can it be tightened up, in other words is there a nut and lock washer if i take the driveshaft off.
              I aint explained that too well...
              Diff will be fine, unless it's been overhauled..or very well looked after, chances are it'll be quite 'loose' anyways.

The shaft is a common fault..fault maybe too strong of a word, but it's definitely not one of the best designed solutions. The bearing that supports the shaft is buried inside the diff' you'd need to split it wide open to replace. The seal is serviceable, but so long as it's not leaking "it'll be reet"

Comment

I think there is a switch on the back of the instrument cluster (there is on the Hilux)...some have a piece of tape over them, you just slide the switch to the other side to re-set the light.
                What have I told you about thinking Erroll

Comment

I found the switch to turn off the T BELT light, took out a small rubber grommit in the centre of the clear plastic on the dash and got access to a tiny push switch(had to use a tiny screwdriver) pushed it in and the T BELT warning light went off...

Comment

Working...
                  X