@BUSHWACKER - Engine Painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @BUSHWACKER - Engine Painting

Just in the middle of re-furbing an engine for a kit car and wondered if there is a 'best order' to paint up an engine? any hints and tips you would be able to give me for best results?

We've degreased the block, soaked it in citric acid to remove the rust and wire brused the entire outside - then rinsed it in brake cleaner.

Looks almost as good as new - but as for painting - does it really matter if it's assembled or not?
    ======
    Just gotta finish doing the next mod...

Originally posted by andy_enuff View Post
    Just in the middle of re-furbing an engine for a kit car and wondered if there is a 'best order' to paint up an engine? any hints and tips you would be able to give me for best results?

We've degreased the block, soaked it in citric acid to remove the rust and wire brused the entire outside - then rinsed it in brake cleaner.

Looks almost as good as new - but as for painting - does it really matter if it's assembled or not?
    It's better to remove all the ancillaries, brackets and any hoses first, otherwise it will look nasty.
    Valve covers should be done seperately too, what you don't want is for the engine looking like it's just been dunked into a big pot of paint.

As with most things, the finished look is equal to the amount of care and preperation that went into it.

What engine is it, and how much will be seen when it's installed?

Comment

Only a little one! - a 1.8 Zetec for a MEV Rocket. When you say "ancilleries removed" do you mean "every single part dismantled so that the crank case, valve seals, entire head and block are in pieces" :P It's being completely rebuilt So I guess that covers that part off

As for care - I thin kthe owner would actually take it to bed with him - so the paint job will be pretty meticulous I've already grabbed the links you had to the paint and spray gun from Lexur IV thread.

The piston case (it has a split piston/crank case) is currently in a local engineers being rehoned - gaskets seals and suchlike all arrive Monday - painting starts at the weekend
      ======

Comment

Originally posted by andy_enuff View Post
        Only a little one! - a 1.8 Zetec for a MEV Rocket. When you say "ancilleries removed" do you mean "every single part dismantled so that the crank case, valve seals, entire head and block are in pieces" :P It's being completely rebuilt So I guess that covers that part off

As for care - I thin kthe owner would actually take it to bed with him - so the paint job will be pretty meticulous I've already grabbed the links you had to the paint and spray gun from Lexur IV thread.

The piston case (it has a split piston/crank case) is currently in a local engineers being rehoned - gaskets seals and suchlike all arrive Monday - painting starts at the weekend

Ancillaries:
        Alternator.
        starter.
        Air-con compressor.
        Power steering pump.
        Distributor.
        Valve (rocker) cover.

Didn't realise the block was already stripped, so just fit it all back together without the parts listed above. If your using engine enamel, give it several days before handling the engine, it takes a while for it to fully harden.

Comment

Cheers I might post a pic eventually when it's done, tho it's not very Surf related! More of an engineering course in preparation of working on a surf to the extreme that you do - or just hot-rodding something with a lexus engine lol! - Give it 10-15 years tho! hahaah
          ======

Comment

Working...
          X