Kzn-185 ~ v8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kzn-185 ~ v8

My Surfs new heart arrived at work today!

I wanted to start it's own thread so it doesn't interfere with the collosal lexurf thread (and I'll have somewhere to post my questions and appeals for help when I get stuck).

Speaking of which, do we have any members living near Newcastle upon Tyne? I'm very good at making cups of tea!

I will be keeping this thread updated with progress and pictures as and when I get to work on it.
    Cheers,
    Sean

Which V8 are you using?
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

It's the LS400 lump, but I've not got it home to check it out yet.
      Cheers,
      Sean

Comment

where do live sean your avatar says cheshire im in the wirral so not far or have you moved to newcastle upon tyne NOT under lyme
        http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55797

Comment

Oh, sorry. Forgot to change that. I've moved oop north to Newcastle (the big one!).
          I'm close to Shiremoor and Whitley Bay if anyone knows it.
          To be honest ..... not seen that many Surfs over this way, this is definatly M3 territory!

Might be getting the engine home tommorow

Is it possible to get hold of a gearbox output shaft, just so I can get everything ready to throw in as best I can, before ripping things out of the car?
          Last edited by SeanH; 7 September 2010, 21:51.
          Cheers,
          Sean

Comment

Sean

following on from reading the entire lexsurf IV thread I'm getting more & more interested in a V8 conversion on my 3rd gen.

I certainly don't have the mech or elec knowledge to try this myself and to be honest I was thinking of geting in touch with Vince to see if he's ever done a 3rd gen V8 (lexsurf V or VI perhaps) but noticed you are having a go.

keep the thread updated on progress and if all goes well ou may have another customer

ta & good luck

hawaii
            I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

i think Vince is after a 3rd gen donar to fit a lexus engine into if your happy to donate your truck afor a while
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                i think Vince is after a 3rd gen donar to fit a lexus engine into if your happy to donate your truck afor a while
                Donate?
                Ive got one .....
                私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Oi! Me first!
                  I've already got the engine and gearbox sat on my drive keeping warm under a tarpaulin blanky!
                  I think I may need to start this sooner rather than later as my starter motor is showing signs of going on the blink. I need to replace a wing mirror at a cost of £250 so god only knows how much a starter motor will be, the V8 with gearbox only cost me £350.
                  Cheers,
                  Sean

Comment

Cool thread, have you worked how it works with the different T/case to a 2nd Gen? Does a 3rd Gen T/Case fit the Lexus gearbox as well, thats handy?

(Your starter is probably a £30 fix, but any reason to start I guess... lol )
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Sean/Tony, page three here shows the T/case adapter fitted to the rear of the Lexus trans.....
                      http://www.uzswap.com/forum/index.php?topic=150.0

Comment

Cool, so is that a special adapter to buy, or part of a Toyota gearbox-t/case off something else?

Comment

From page 1.

I was able to make some progress on the 4WD conversion aspect of my 1UZ/4WD swap!! Went back to the junk yard and pulled the front diff, CV axles, and spindles from the same 97 4Runner I took the transfercase from. The front diff has 4.10's installed, so I might try trading my rear 4.30'd 3rd member for one with 4.10's. Would be alot cheaper than buying/installing new gears up front! I doubt I'll ever go bigger than 32's, so I think I'll be good with the slightly higher ratio.

It's a '99 4Runner (2WD) with a transfercase and adapter from a '97 4Runner.

Crack open a tinny and read the thread!!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                            From page 1.

I was able to make some progress on the 4WD conversion aspect of my 1UZ/4WD swap!! Went back to the junk yard and pulled the front diff, CV axles, and spindles from the same 97 4Runner I took the transfercase from. The front diff has 4.10's installed, so I might try trading my rear 4.30'd 3rd member for one with 4.10's. Would be alot cheaper than buying/installing new gears up front! I doubt I'll ever go bigger than 32's, so I think I'll be good with the slightly higher ratio.

It's a '99 4Runner (2WD) with a transfercase and adapter from a '97 4Runner.

Crack open a tinny and read the thread!!
                            LOL, cool, but thats going to tricky to find over here!

I was halfway through replacing the front diff and shafts on Linda's truck, only popped in for a beer, no time...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                              LOL, cool, but thats going to tricky to find over here!

I was halfway through replacing the front diff and shafts on Linda's truck, only popped in for a beer, no time...

What is, 3rd gen auto 'boxes?

Comment

Working...
                              X