Given the choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Given the choice

Would you put a V8 in a 2nd Generation Surf or a 2 door Hilux pickup with leaf suspension?
    Surf
    80.00%
    Pickup
    20.00%
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Has the pick-up got a solid front axle?

Comment

Yes

Comment

Both?

A Surf is a perfect all round SUV, the V8 complements its perfectly. A Leaf sprung pickup is really only good for fun or work, in which case its a little overkill.

(says the man who had a 81' V8 tray-backed pickup as a daily driver..)

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
          Yes

Then apparently you'll need to source some Tundra headers or chop and modify the Lexus ones at the collector flange..
          Also the Sump hits the diff too, so will need modifying.

This is what I've read, not seen it for myself yet.

Comment

Tony, I can't do both, Shirley would murder me! And I'd not tray back either, I don't like them.

Vince, I've read about the Tundra headers (2 bolt flanges?), but not the sump. Any sump comments I've seen related to Soarer engines rather than the LS one.

I've mentioned the pickup before and I've just been offered a 2nd gen for "a couple of hundred". I'm not sure what a couple is at this point, bearing in mind that, in Scotland, a monetary couple isn't necessarily 2! I can see pros and cons with both, just canvassing opinion.

Comment

It's something to do with the solid axle and spring mounting points I think.

Too much power in a pick-up is a waste IMHO, there's not enough weight over the rear axle.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                Too much power in a pick-up is a waste IMHO, there's not enough weight over the rear axle.
                That's one of my cons, rear articulation being another. Triangulated 4 link rear suspension and coilovers would fix that though.

I could always take the pickup and use the front axle on the Surf?

Comment

That's one of my cons, rear articulation being another. Triangulated 4 link rear suspension and coilovers would fix that though.

yea, but

you dont offroad...............
                  私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Yoshie needs to build the workshop first!

Comment

Originally posted by blackpoolsparks View Post
                      yea, but

you dont offroad...............
                      In my defence, I didn't have an offroadable truck for a year (still don't!). And you lot always go when I'm working.

Comment

Do the surf then later if you want SAS it.

I plan to chop cage and off road this 2nd gen. The ifs can work well but I may SAS it in the furture and send it to Wales for a little engine mod.

I voted pickup just because I want to mess with it
                        Last edited by yoshie; 30 August 2010, 23:08.
                        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                          It's something to do with the solid axle and spring mounting points I think.

A properly set up leaf sprung front end has looooads more travel that a IFS, the diff goes up a long way (I broke my oil filter off my Rover V8 once with it) The torque arm bracket sticks up a long way to.
                          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                            Do the surf then later if you want SAS it.

I plan to chop cage and off road this 2nd gen. The ifs can work well but I may SAS it in the furture and send it to Wales for a little engine mod.

I voted pickup just because I want to mess with it
                            Exactly my plan over the next 18 months. Already snapped 1 front shaft with just 31's an the 3.0lD..yea the front diff is locked, but that just highlights the weak points in the IFS. If I were to go with bigger tyres as well, I think I'd be breaking shafts and cv's pretty frequently, nevermind factoring in the grunt from the V8.

V8, SAS.. 3-link front on Fox air 2's or coilovers, 4-link rear on the foxies too

Time will tell, but that's the grand plan anyways

Comment

Right now I would chose the Surf but 10 years ago I would have had the pickup. I guess it depends on what you want it for and your current lifestyle as to which is more useful day to day.

Thanks,

Ray.
                              I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

Working...
                              X