Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiace 3L into a 4Runner

Hi Guys

After a long time in the UK I am off to visit my baby in Africa! Head's been off for over a year so I am I right to think the engines now ####ed?

Been having a hard time finding a decent/reasonably priced mechanic in Zim or trying to import a 2nd hand engine from Japan, so what I am now considering is an engine replacement. Looking for a Surf or even a Hiace donor as there are plenty of Hiace jap imports in southern africa. Will the Hiace engine work and is it just a straight swop? What about the gearbox?
    @africa4x4cafe
    [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Why would the engine be knackered if the head has been off? Unless water has been sitting on it? Or may be it has become siezed where it's not been turned?

Why not buy the refresher parts here before you go and rebuild it up with new bearings, rings and gaskets? I really don't know about a hi-ace swap.
    Look in the bores to see if they are scored. Look at the crank to see if that is scored where the bearings fit - if you want to go this route.
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

I say that because the vehicle has been sitting on axle stands in the middle of the african bush - when they took the head off there was water in the engine and even though it was drained the head has been off for over a year. Worst case scenario that's all...
      @africa4x4cafe

Comment

I'd be tempted to get a whole new vehicle (should funds allow) and use the old one for spares...

Comment

I would if I could.

Currently its going to cost us nearly 2 grand just to get home for a month so we are looking for a cheap and dirty solution.
          @africa4x4cafe

Comment

You can still get the block acid dipped and rebored and then painted afterwards
            Edit - about reboring, god knows if there are oversized pistons, or even if the block actually can be rebored :/
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
              You can still get the block acid dipped and rebored and then painted afterwards
              Edit - about reboring, god knows if there are oversized pistons, or even if the block actually can be rebored :/
              From past experience with bikes it would partly depend on how much the bore is increased (assuming they aren't coated or plated bores in a similar fashion to old Moto Guzzis) cos you might be able to get away with bigger piston rings (again, I assume this works the same with Surfs and isn't any different on say a diesel engine to a petrol motorbike engine).

With the amount of these engines worldwide I would be suprised if there weren't plenty of options available...

Comment

Originally posted by bundubasher View Post
                Hi Guys

After a long time in the UK I am off to visit my baby in Africa! Head's been off for over a year so I am I right to think the engines now ####ed?

Been having a hard time finding a decent/reasonably priced mechanic in Zim or trying to import a 2nd hand engine from Japan, so what I am now considering is an engine replacement. Looking for a Surf or even a Hiace donor as there are plenty of Hiace jap imports in southern africa. Will the Hiace engine work and is it just a straight swop? What about the gearbox?
                Not sure about the hi-ace engines, but if you know of someone making the trip from SA to Zim the KZTE engines are plentiful in SA.

Comment

i think i would hone the bores rather than re bore.africa has quite a dry climate does it not???.as for the hi ace swap its exactly the same core engine,there may be differences in alt brackets and ancillary brackets just make sure you get one that has the electronic pump fitted.
                  www.overfab.uk

Comment

IIRC, his truck is a UK 4Runner which in theory has the mechanically injected 1KZ-T.

Comment

Working...
                    X