No announcement yet.

1uzfe into 2.4TD surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thanks for the info vince have located the connector which goes at the back of the TC and just going to connect it the lexus wiring yeah its blue the earth on this model. will let you know when its up and running.

sent off V5C form to DVLA to get it all above board they say it can take 4 weeks ot process so when to take it out for a test drive have to avoid the police!
    http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55797

Comment

• vince connected the speed sensor up as per the wires checked had 12V and continuity from sensor to dash but not seem to work also the SPD wire from the dash to the ECU is connected any thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by dannyboy77 View Post
        vince connected the speed sensor up as per the wires checked had 12V and continuity from sensor to dash but not seem to work also the SPD wire from the dash to the ECU is connected any thoughts?

Plug A (cluster) pin #8. white wire goes to earth also to white wire, pin #19 of the cluster surround (warning & indicator lights)

Plug C (cluster) pin #8. yellow wire goes to the signal wire from the speed sensor.

Are you sure the speed sensor is working?

You can bench test it using a 12v supply and a multimeter.

12v to pin 1 on sensor (black/orange stripe)
        Earth to pin 2 (green) also earth lead of multimeter.
        Positive lead of multimeter to pin3 of sensor. (Green/red stripe)

If you turn the plastic cog on the sensor, the voltage should fluctuate between 0 and 9ish volts.
        If no movement of meter, sensor is gubbed.

Comment

• I'm reading this thread and hoping I don't hit any major snags when I swap my motor.....if I do I'm pretty sure it will be covered here.

cheers guys.
          Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

• Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
            I'm reading this thread and hoping I don't hit any major snags when I swap my motor.....if I do I'm pretty sure it will be covered here.

cheers guys.

Started another one today Alan, I'll make notes as I go. e.g. What to leave intact when removing Surf motor etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              Started another one today Alan, I'll make notes as I go. e.g. What to leave intact when removing Surf motor etc.
              Brilliant mate, mines is starting in the next couple of weeks, that would be excellent info.

Any info on stripping the Lex would be welcome too.
              Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

• Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                Plug A (cluster) pin #8. white wire goes to earth also to white wire, pin #19 of the cluster surround (warning & indicator lights)

Plug C (cluster) pin #8. yellow wire goes to the signal wire from the speed sensor.

Are you sure the speed sensor is working?

You can bench test it using a 12v supply and a multimeter.

12v to pin 1 on sensor (black/orange stripe)
                Earth to pin 2 (green) also earth lead of multimeter.
                Positive lead of multimeter to pin3 of sensor. (Green/red stripe)

If you turn the plastic cog on the sensor, the voltage should fluctuate between 0 and 9ish volts.
                If no movement of meter, sensor is gubbed.
                thanks for the info i think all the wiring is OK so will check the sensor this TC is a 2nd hand one as just before i started the conversion i broke the previous one but the senosr worked so can try on that and see if get same the reading on this 2nd hand TC

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                I'm reading this thread and hoping I don't hit any major snags when I swap my motor.....if I do I'm pretty sure it will be covered here.

cheers guys.
                yeah well thats what this thread is for i did want to do a step by step guide of potential pit falls and perils that can happen with is conversion how to do carry it out fairly painlessly! most of the mothodolgy is taken form the aussies and lextreme and of course our resident guru vince
                if i can do it with a bit of guidance theres hope for all

the only regret i have is not keeping the dash top but you learn! oh and the expansion bottle but thats up for debate.

Comment

• i think i have the expansion bottle in my garage you can have! and if vince has no other use for it i think he might have a dash spare from gwh`s lexus.

Comment

• yeah ross that will be great if vince has no further use for it. dont know what his view is on the engine coolant levels etc? but yeah can sort something out.

Comment

• Originally posted by dannyboy77 View Post
                      yeah ross that will be great if vince has no further use for it. dont know what his view is on the engine coolant levels etc? but yeah can sort something out.

What have you done re; the cooling system?

I don't use expansion bottles, just an in-line filler neck installed at the highest point in the top rad hose, (2.4 radiator) with a pressure cap should any overheating problems occur.
                      I plugged the outlet from the V8 that originally went to the expansion bottle, thats just above the coil on the passenger side.

Comment

• this area was a concern after reading the potential problems of the engine overheating due to the smaller rad etc and modifying the bonnet to get cool air in, havent you got a scoop at the back??

I have been a bit naughty and connected the outlet from the engine to the overflow neck on the inline filler only as a temp measure so it didnt p155 oaa over the place!?! thats why was asking about the expansion bottle the problem i thought was if it does overheat and spill out you wont know how much? but saying that its not an exact science how much to put in i have i think about 8 litres in i know it should be 10litres (lexus recommendation) but that includes the expansion bottle so i guess without the bottle its about 8.5-9litres so got to get 1 more litre in?

i quess you know when it overheats i.e. lots of smoke burst seal and temp gauge on red. so i guess either can use the bottle or not???

Comment

• Yeah, my bonnet is vented at the back.
                          Hiroler has a forward facing scoop on his and our normal running temps are roughly the same, about 84-89 degrees. I've set the fan to come on at 90 degrees.
                          The conversion I'm doing at the moment has no bonnet venting, so it'll be interesting to see if it makes a difference.
                          I also remove the metal plate and rubber flaps from under the wheel arches to let some hot air out as the exhaust manifolds are directly behind there.
                          Have you got a quality after market temp gauge fitted? The standard Lexus one is as acurate as the Surf's apparently.

I have an expansion bottle here if you want it, just pay postage.

Comment

• i havent vented the bonnet at all was thinking though of doing something either bonnet scoop or grille vents near the windscreen?? i have bought some exhaust wrap to go around the manifold and the exhaust next tot he chassis and fuel line that might keep the engine bay a bit cooler. am thinking of keeping the flaps as need them when go off roading. i have a super cooling system a switch next to the immobiliser to turn the 16" fan on will get around to fitting it properly though

have you got a link for the aftermarket temp gauges? be interested to have a look. everything is standard at the moment

yeah if get a price for postage will take the bottle off your hands is the contour of the underneath the same as the surf arch? will it fit?? if you could check please

stil not on the road the DVLA have p155ed me around after 5 weeks i phoned up yesterday asking whats going on and they said nothing didnt recieve the V5C etc so after complaining theya re sending me another one and i have can go to a local centre and fill it out there and get a tax disc the same day so hopefully next week it will finally be legal on the road

Comment

• This is the best place I found for the expansion tank, using the existing threaded hole for the Surf's air filter housing.

If you've got the Suf's log book there, just get tax for the truck with that, and worry about changing the details after, thats what I did. At least you'll be able to drive it around.( unless you've already submitted the date when the conversion was completed.)

Comment

• that looks tidy! i assume that is roughly the same height as it was in relation to the engine when in was in the lexus? yeah if could cost P+P i will take the spare one of your hands if that is OK.

the thoughts with the DVLA is next time its in for MOT its down as a 2.4 TD and not a 4.0 petrol unless you know the MOT tester!?!?!? also on tax disc it says diesel so living were police have nothing better to do than annoy you when it comes to cars i need to get the DVLA to update it

oh installed the front diff yesterday what a PITA that is to get out and put back in when have no ramp or anything needed two of us to get in and out! just a heavy awkward lump! think though now have increase torque going through the diffs i think i will learn how to fix the front diff and possibly the TC as i feel this is the weak point of the surf and if frequent off roading i will be replacing these parts on a fairly frequent basis!?! do you know if the same ratio cogs etc are used in other toyotas that are still in manufacture?? it wil get expensive having to replace the front diff and TC annually
                                Last edited by dannyboy77; 18 April 2010, 10:51.

Comment

Working...
                                X