Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - 3.0 Ltr Fuel Filter replacement questions

Howdy All

I have done all the research on this site and have all the relvant information about taking it off the mounting, putting it in a vice and priming of the pump etc.

I am such a loser I can't even get this far - the filter mount has two hoses attatched and one electrical connection at the bottom, do i remove these? Is diesel going to go pumping all over the street if i do?

The electrical connection is there a knack for this i can't see a way and don't want to force it cos i might break it.

once these are off, the filter can come out, assuming that undo is anti clockwise this is holding the filter up the way it is in the vehicle, right?

Cheers I feel thoroughly miserable now i was trying to sort that bit b4 it got dark - ah well at least i did the easy bits putting in the air filter and changing the rad cap!!
    "disinclined to acquiesce your proposition - NO"

Don't panic n0rm. We have all been there!

Trace back from the electrical connection (water sensor) and you will find that the wires go into a connector. Unplug the wires at that point and allow the wires to hang straight down. You can then rotate the filter without twisting the wires up.
    If you havent already tried, try getting a hammer and screwdriver. Put the screwdriver at a right-angle to the rim at the top of the filter and give it a good whack. This will make a dent in the rim. Turn the screwdriver to 45 deg, give it another couple of whacks and it should start to turn.
    You will spill a little diesel. If you keep the filter upright most of it should stay in.

Once yo have the filter off you can undo the electrical connector on the bottom with an adjustable spanner.
    When you put the new filter on smear the sealing rings with diesel and only do them up hand tight. Mine have come off easy at each service and with no leaks in between.

Good Luck
    Last edited by kitesurf_phil; 16 November 2004, 18:11.
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Cheers mate

It was the electrical connection that was bugging me cos it was broken and i couldn't push down the release bit at the top, with fading light i couldn't really see it but i got some light on the subject and sorted that bit.

If i hit the filter with hammer and screwdriver do i risk damaging anything - the blurb says to remove it all this would entail disconnecting the hoses is fuel going everywhere if i do it this way?

ah well i probably just hit it - solves most mechanical problems - light fading and dinner awaits will have to look tomorow!

Cheers

Comment

The whole filter just unscrews. Have a look at the replacement one. So when you hit the rim at the top you are only going to damage the one you are throwing away. Another trick is to get a large Jubilee clip, like the ones you get on air filter pipes and fit it round the filter. You can then do it up tight and drift it round with a hammer and screwdriver. It's a bit tight in ther for a filter strap.
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

cool, cheers will have a look tommorow - methinks i need to get a garage so i can work on my baby into the night!!

Comment

I was looking at an off road site. The guy there was not allowed to buld a garage. It was something to do with building restrictions, so he put up a huge garage sized tent. It looked really strange with a work bench, hoist, engine frame etc. That idea would last five minutes round here. If it's not nailed down somebody will lift it. If they can prize it up- it wasn't nailed down!
            It's only a hobby!

Comment

I've never had to use a hammer to remove a filter so I cannot comment on that technique! But before you refit the new filter, fill it with clean diesel and this cut down/out pumping diesel through the new filter.
              @africa4x4cafe
              [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Comment

Cheers for the advice, tis a good idea I pumped mine though

Comment

I managed to use a filter strap,even in the tight confined space that there is,but it eventually come off millimetre by millimetre. .
                  [I]Pengy.[/I]

Comment

Working...
                  X